Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed Linux (Mandrake 8.0) on my system and the video in X Windows is not working properly, I'm getting "phantom" images of windows closed down and the screen just doesn't appear right

I have a GeForce 3 Ti 200 video card

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no I'm not and thats what I suspect is my problem, I'm a complete newbie to Linux but I have been trying to figure out how to install the drivers

·
Registered
711 Posts
The most recent drivers from NVidia had serious issues. You'll want to visit NVidia's website and get the latest though, just for testing purposes. If you're using Mandrake, you'll want the Uniprocessor i686 version, there's 2 files, the GLX and the Kernel files, they're standard rpm's and there is also install instructions on Nvidia's webpage, give those a shot and if you need further help let us know :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure thing, when my thumbs heal up I'll re-do the power connectors to my moble rack and play around with Linux some more heh, these things are like pit bulls they don't wanna let go!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok other then my previous post,... I'm downloading Mandrake 9 atm,... and there are three diffrent drivers for linux on the Nvidia site,... Ia32 Ia64 I think AMD64 how do I know which one to download?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Well hammer aka AMD64 isn't out yet that I can remember, and if you're using IA64 I'd bow to you :p j/k ... you'll want the IA32 drivers :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
...speaking of video problems with nVidia, I have a slight issue with my video. I got an HP which has an Intel integrated graphics with nVidia G-Force engine. I install Mandrake 9 and it correctly picks up the video card, but when I hit the GUI, my monitor displays "Set PC to 1024X768 60Hz. upon investigating, when I was playing with my video settings in Mandrake Control Center (not the KDE one, but the Mandrake one), I could go under Hardware>Monitor and change that, but I was able to get the refresh rate down. It stays pinned at 85Hz. The only remedy I found was to (once Mandrake was set up and under KDE) switch to the nVidia drivers. There, I only have 800X600 at 16 bit color. How do I remedy that? If no one knows, it isn't anything really major, but I would like to fix it. I'm also a Linux rookie, making it even harder.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Lectra you're looking at a function of X itself. If you have installed the NVidia drivers as opposed to the generic open source one's that come with X you should be able to get all the performance that your card supports, if you're using the generic one's you might not get OpenGL support but you shouldn't have refresh rate issues. I suggest looking in /etc/X11/X11R6/XF86config I believe if the config file for Mandrake.. this is where your video information is being passed to X to startup your session (aka the GUI). You can control the refresh rate/size of the screen/ ect ect from this config file, edit to suit taste and then restart X to effect the changes.

Drew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.