Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About a week ago I decided to try out Ubuntu. I had heard a lot of great things about it and I thought it would be cool to have something other than Windows. So I went ahead and installed Ubuntu 9.04 as a dual boot alongside the Windows XP I already had. I was enjoying Ubuntu a lot after first installing it.

I originally installed Flash through Firefox when it prompted me to. A little later I was on YouTube and noticed that about half the videos simply would not start. The page loads, I see the player, but the video just doesn't begin to buffer or start. I orginally posted on the Ubuntu Forums about this problem. I got several suggestions through there. I've probably tried every variation of flash plugins that are available (even tried the alternative Gnash and also tried going back to Flash Player 9 instead of 10). It doesn't matter what I try I get the same problem.

After some frustration, I decided to put my Linux exploits on hold while I tried to solve the problem. I went back to my XP, and shockingly had the exact same problem with YouTube. The exact same videos will not start to play in XP using IE as in Ubuntu with Firefox. It seems to be about a half and half split.

It might be just a coincidence that this problem began exactly when I installed Ubuntu, but I am doubting it. Looking around, Ubuntu 9.04 seems to having a lot of problems with flash content. Although I have not found anyone else who has the same problem as mine, especially one that carries over to another OS. I have no idea what to do about this.

Here is the thread I made on the Ubuntu Forums (I seem to have hit a dead end):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1138055

Here is an example of a video I can no longer get to play in Ubuntu or XP:
youtube.com/watch?v=23nfW7Q2J3g

EDIT: it seems that on most occasions these videos actually do start after a very long wait. For example I had the video above open in a seperate tab and went back noticing that it had begun playing after sitting idle for about 5 minutes. Still very annoying and frustrating. Don't know if anyone will be able to solve this.

·
Manager, - Alternative Computing, - Design
6,529 Posts
Hi,

Ok I believe that 9.04 just came out a couple of weeks ago. I might recommend going back to 8.10. You will have a lot of updates to install but that might fix your problem. I would assume that they would have gotten this fixed by now. But I don't know. I don't really use ubuntu much anymore.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi,

Ok I believe that 9.04 just came out a couple of weeks ago. I might recommend going back to 8.10. You will have a lot of updates to install but that might fix your problem. I would assume that they would have gotten this fixed by now. But I don't know. I don't really use ubuntu much anymore.

Cheers!
The thing is though is that this is not only occuring in Ubuntu, but also in Windows. I don't get how an issue with Ubuntu 9.04 could also affect what is going in my Windows installation. Would you think that getting rid of 9.04 would solve this problem? I might try it I guess... again it might just be something completely unrelated that just happened to pop up at the same time.

It seems that after these videos load they are completely transfered, they don't have to buffer and all that. So it seems it is waiting for the video to completely transfer before playing. That's what I have nailed it down to. Not really a big problem I guess but very, very annoying if you are using youtube and have to wait several minutes before a video starts.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I wouldn't worry about falling back to 8.10 - should be able to solve it as is.

What version of Firefox are you running on Ubuntu and in Windows? You can check Ubuntu's version with 'firefox -version'. Exactly where are you at now with the flash plugins? How many and which are installed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
In Ubuntu I have Firefox 3.0.10
The only flash plugin I have there right now is the Flash Player 10, which I installed through the .deb directly from Adobe. I've made sure that I've got rid of all other flash packages, everything.

In XP I usually use Internet Explorer for browsing. During the time this problem has been occuring I actually updated from IE 7 to IE 8 and the problem occured in both versions. I also have the most updated version of Firefox on XP and it also occurs there.

Pretty much it seems its some internal problem on my system because it doesn't matter what OS, browser, or flash plugin I am using, the problem still occurs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Don't know how much this will help, but I originally had GNASH SWF Player and any larger YouTube movies or otherwise would not play for me either. I decided to ask around on the Ubuntu IRC channel, and here is what I got...

Go to Applications>Add/Remove Applications
first try to find any flash plugins you may have installed and uncheck them
then search nonfree in the box and a result will come up. make sure that is the only shockwave player installed. It works for me beautifully. I run Ubuntu 9.04 also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.