Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've read a few posts on this issue but have yet to see something similiar to what is going on for me.

Specs:
Asus K8N-E Deluxe
AMD 64 3200+
1 gig Ram
ATI Radeon 9800XT Pro

Everything works fine (mostly). I have tried to use asus update to try and see if there are any new updates for the mobo.. Can never get onto the servers.. Not a big deal since I can find them on the asus website..

My biggest concern is with my video card and games.. I recently upgraded my mobo from K8V Deluxe, the reason for upgrading was the fact that I lost 4 HD's to that mobo.. Seemed that the HD would work fine for about 2 weeks then would longer boot or no longer be recognized.. Still don't know what the problem was with that.. But I would get nothing but read/write errors in event viewer, proceeded by bad blocks showing up..

The problem I have now is that while playing Counter-Strike I experience between 15-30 fps, when I used to get a steady 100fps.. I've tried new video drivers and that didn't work, I read on asus forums, it might be the AMD Cool n quiet, so I disabled that and nothing happened.. I also read that it might be the nVidia IDE SW, but I don't want to have to reload my whole OS just to test that out..

I also have BattleField 2 which works great.. Nothing wrong with that game at all, I have yet to test Doom3 or since I have FarCry laying around I was thinking of trying that also..

Anyone have any possible ideas?? Anyone need any more info I can supply it..
Thanks in advance for any help..

·
Registered
572 Posts
Usually when I got slowdown in Valve games it was because Steam was downloading the other games while I was playing. Since it sounds like you recently reinstalled steam that sounds like a possibility.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
If you're getting bad blocks and errors from your hard drive, disable your antivirus and run scandisk in thorough mode to find any bad sectors, and set it to autofix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not getting the bad blocks anymore.. I think something was wrong with the HD interface on the old mobo.. I don't know.. Something just isn't right with this board cause now after some tweaking, I get 100fps, but when I am in a gun fight it drops down to about 60-80.. I'm not sure why.. Never had an issue with the other mobo.. was always 100 fps solid.. Might I have a power issue? A bottleneck somewhere??

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Koala has given you some excellent advice. It would be a good idea to follow through on what he has said.

You might also along with his suggestion want to take a look at the Omega drivers. They are just excellent and in my personal opinion are heads and shoulders ahead of the regular ATI drivers. FWIW, those are the drivers that I use on this same card, so if interested in trying them:

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you much for the advice both of you.. I will do the tests and report back what I come up with, at the same time I will try those drivers.. I've read quite a few things about them.. Thanks again..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow

I just did the calculations on that website and just from the calculations I'm way beyond what the power supply can handle.. I'm surprised I didn't have any problems up until now..
My power supply: Antec 350w
My minimum power requirements: 360w

HA.. I'm really curious why I haven't had any problems till now.. Maybe thats why my other mobo was failing.. :cussing:

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

If I were you, I would not buy anything less than a 500 watt power supply made by either Antec or Enermax. If you find one for less than 100 bucks, don't buy it unless one that I listed above. The 550 Antec is a real horse and will meet your needs for a long time to come. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tumbleweed36 said:
Hi,

If I were you, I would not buy anything less than a 500 watt power supply made by either Antec or Enermax. If you find one for less than 100 bucks, don't buy it unless one that I listed above. The 550 Antec is a real horse and will meet your needs for a long time to come. Hope that helps.
awesome thx.. I'm actually headed to the store now..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
koala said:
Your power supply might be having trouble handling your new graphics card, especially as the fps drops when doing something graphically intensive.

Go to http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ to work out your system's power requirements, and then take the PSU's readings and hard drive temperatures using Everest Home Edition http://www.lavalys.hu/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en (in the Computer > Sensors section)

Post back with the results.
Here is the results I have right now after changing the PSU, replaced it with Antec SmartPower 2.0 500 watt..

Here is what my Overclock page looks like..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
And sadly enough nothing changed.. my fps still bounces from 50 fps to 100 fps depending on what is going on in the game..

oh and just tried Doom3.. yeah.. 25 fps.. I'm getting rid of this mobo and quick.. nothing but problems for me..

Thanks for all the help tho..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
already tried it.. using them now.. I like the tweaking ability of them.. I think I'll keep them when I get the new mobo.. lol..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.