- DELL Inspiron1720
- CPU: T8300 (2.4GHz)
- HD:TOSHIBAMK3252GSX 320 GB (5400rpm)
- RAM: 3GB (667GHz)
- GPU: Nvidia GForce 8600GT
- Display: 1920x1200
- Sound Card: Sigmatell
- Windows Vista Premium with SP1
The first think I've tried to do with my new "toy" was some video editing using the "Windows Movie Maker" like I used to with my old Dell Inspiron 5100, bought almost 5 years ago with the relevant for its age characteristics and furnished with XP Pro.

All of a sudden I've noticed that the performance of my beloved new Dell was quite similar to the old one!
Meaning that, the glitchy media playback outcome using the "Windows Movie Maker" in my old system was now "improved??!!!" by getting stutter and dropped frames using exactly the same application!!!!!
How can it be possible since the difference between these 2 systems is huge!!!

After allot of reading and searching I concluded that the “possible” problem is located somewhere in the Hard Drive transfer rates or in the Video Card. Off course, all tests were successful for my new "baby".
So, does anyone knows if it's normal that the real read transfer rate of my HD is ~3-4MB/s when editing the Video, in Vista Premium resulting stutter and dropped frames, or the Video Card has Hard time to reproduce the ".avi file" while processing?
Just to mention that no other application related to the HD was running at the same time, BIOS Settings are the industrial defaults one and the DMA was on.

Thanks in advance for your posts!

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
The video card has no effect on the performance. Is the CPU single core? If so, then Vista will be the reason as it runs much better on dual, triple, and quad-core systems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 processor running at 2.4 Ghz. As far as I know, is a fairly powerful piece for Laptop Processors.
Concerning the Video Card, Yes I agree with you that has almost nothing to do with the Video editing performance, but what I was trying to ask is that the REPRODUCING of an edited Video clip using "WMovieMaker" resulting a few stutter and dropped frames (mainly to the clips that had filled in with some effects) have it something to do with the Video Card rather than the Hard Drive, or it's a purely Hard Drive issue?
Later on, I 'll try to Enable Cacheing and disable Drive Indexing in my Hard Drive and see if it's going to be improved.
Anyway, thanks for your post!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Windows Movie Maker in Vista does not perform very well unless you have 4GB of RAM and a 7200rpm hardrive. Without them you will find that it will run on par with your Windows XP laptop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.