1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I Have A DELL Optiplex 380 SF Intel® Core™2 Duo E7500
It Was Running Windows 7 Professional,
It Crashed, So I Clean Formatted The Machine, Installed Windows XP With Service Pack 3..

So I Also Installed The Drivers, But The Video Controller (VGA Compatible) Driver Is Not Compatible, Downloaded It From The DELL Site Using The Service Tag Number.

The Machine Has:
Intel® G41 Express chipset
Intel GMA X4500 Video.

So Now Im At Loss On What Driver To Use To Fix This Problem...

Any Help Will Be Highly Appreciated...

Thanks
Naidoo709

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
27,302 Posts
Why not just go back (actually ahead) to Windows 7? In fact, if your copy was legal, then you can still upgrade to Windows 10 free and enter the modern age.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I Wont Mind Going To Windows 7, But I Misplaced All The Stuff... I Don't Have A Disc, Or Internet Where This Pc Is Being Used... Its Primary Purpose Is To Watch Movies And Listen To Music... Very Basic Functions...

Is There Any Generic Driver I Could Use???

·
Registered
41,107 Posts
Go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press Enter. In the Device Manager, are there any Yellow flags next to Devices? If so, these devices need drivers installed. If so, on an Internet computer go to the Dell site for your model # Support for OptiPlex 380 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US do not use the Service Tag #. Select Windows XP for the OS and download the Chipset Driver. If you can't access internet on this computer then save it to a USB Flash drive to install on the troubled computer. Install this first, then restart. Go back to the Dell page and select your Video Adapter (ie) nVidia or AMD, if you don't know try installing them both only one will work. Then download any other drivers you need from the Device Manager.
Of course, the easiest thing is to install Windows 7 from the link provided

·
Registered
7 Posts
An easier way to install windows 7 on a dell is to goto the Internet archive and download a Dell OEM Windows 7 ISO.

Just pick the OEM version you need and download the ISO to a usb drive.

OEM's have the install serial embedded in the BIOS so you dont need a key. Just install and its automatically activated.

You should be able to use just about anyflavor of Windows you want. Home, Pro, or Ultimate.

Because it's an OEM install Windows 10 will also automatically upgrade and activate it without a key.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts