Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... here's the thing:

My computer has been making this strange noise lately. Like a piercing whistle... I narrowed it down to my graphics card or my CPU fan.

I take out the graphics card and swap it with this complete POS card I had laying around. I was trying to figure out where the noise was coming from. Well... the noise quit for a day or so ... but then it was back. So I'm like... phew! Not my video card.

So I attempt to put it back in. All the software/drivers are installed ... but when I put it back in, I get the black "Windows did not start correctly...how do you want to start up?" screen. If I select the Start Windows Normally option, it restarts and goes back to that screen. If I choose one of the "Safe Mode" starts, My monitor reads "Signal Out of range."

Long story short ... I put the POS card back in, went to Display Options and chose for the system not to use the cheap card, thinking that the system was loading the presets for that card and not the better one, making the refresh rates and resolution all out of wack.

Since I disabled the POS card, now neither work and when I reboot the system... I get those screens for both cards.

I can't get into windows.

I tried using my Windows Recovery Console... but I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

Can somebody please help me?

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi nick.rambo

We had an older fellow in our neighborhood who had a saying "The enemy of Good is Better" [... I'm getting to be his age, so I guess I can use his saying by now]. Let's see if we can get your video back, & then help with the noise too.
_________
One quick question first -- what are you referring to by "POS card"? I know most major card brands & types - but I haven't seen that acronym applied to a video card [in the business world, it's "Point Of Sale"].
_________

To get your video back:
1) Power off the computer, and unplug the power cord.
2) Put the original video card back in. If it is a PCI-Express card, make sure it has all the power connections it needs attached.
3) Leave the case open (for later = when we troubleshoot the source of the noise).
4) Replug the power cable
5) Start the computer, but start tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting. Choose "Safe Mode" from the Boot Menu. [If you don't enter Safe Mode on first try, reboot & try again -- F8 has to be pressed at just the right moment (that's why it helps to keep tapping it until it works)]

Safe Mode bypasses the regular video drivers, and uses the built-in Standard VGA video drivers that all Windows-compliant cards can run. The display will look awful, only 16 colors, and it will be a smaller resolution than you are used to, but it will allow you to fix things.

6) Log on as "Administrator", and type in the Adminstrator password.
7) Try a System Restore, using a restore point from before your adventure with the video cards. Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore.
_________

If the graphics mode of Safe Mode won't run, try the command-prompt only version. This time, instead of selecting "Safe Mode" from the Boot Menu, select "Safe Mode with Command Prompt". Logon as Administrator, provide the password, and then from the command prompt, type the commands in bold type below --->
C:> cd \Windows\System32\Restore
C:\Windows\System32\Restore> rstrui.exe
________
Let us know if you can't enter Safe Mode at all.
________

Running the system with the case open will allow you to narrow down the source of the whine. If you have an empty paper-towel cardboard cylinder - you can use that (don't actually touch anything with it! due to possible static) pressed up against one ear - to find the exact source of the noise.

Report back, and we'll see how you're doing
. . . Gary

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just so you know: POS is an acronym for Piece of $hit.

Other than that... The graphics card is back: thank you very much.

I'll have to use that paper towel trick (great idea, by the way) once the noise comes back. I'll update you.

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
[quick note --- I'm one of the older techs, and it's pretty funny how out-of-touch I am on many of the Internet acronyms! ... it took me ten minutes on Google to figure out the slang meaning of POS :) ... I probably could have just asked my neices, they'd have laughed their heads off (they're college kids)] . . .

My longshot bet on the noise source is a possibly noisy northbridge fan on the motherboard. Let's hope it's not the fan on the video card - the premium cards really should have better fans - at least there are replacements for those.
. . . Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.