Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I have Asus P4P800SE, 256MB Asus nVidia 6600, 24.Ghz celeron, 1gb ram...have my dxdiag linked so you can check it out better i guess...the problem i'm having is running World of Warcraft. I've had tech support on the phone for 3 days and they keep telling me they can't help me anymore unless i resolve...
[Conflicts/Sharing]

Resource Device
IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce 6600
IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE

I absolutely HAVE to change the irq but have been unable to do so. I have 8 USBs on in the asus bios and the other 2 are using irq 18 and 19. i tried disabling all but 2 hoping it would just get assigned to 18 or 19 but the one usb controller 24D2 still got assigned to irq16! The problem i'm having is the video freezes when i play WoW. It might freeze as soon as i log into the game or maybe 1 hour after i play, but it always freezes. The rest of the game continues to function tho, even with the video frozen i can hear myself running around, and if i happen to click on a usable object i hear myself using it. I have Win2k Pro SP4 and have done every update available. my bios is updated and all my drivers are also updated. My last hope is to somehow change the USB irq's to something else so it's not conflicting with the video. And it's an AGP card so i can't move it to a different slot hoping it gets a diff irq assigned. I have scoured this forum and have found nothing that can help me except people saying that IRQs aren't as important now as they once were and not to worry about it unless there is a prob. Well i have a prob and need to fix it. Also in my bios the pnp os has both been set to yes and no. originally to yes but changed to no hoping to get control of the irqs. Also i can't manually change the irqs in device manager as that option is grayed out. if anyone has any ideas i would truly appreciate it. i can't get any more help from blizzard until i change this setting. i'm not sure this is really what the problem is but until i change this i can't move on in the troubleshooting process ^_^

Attachments

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'm not sure what your problem is but the IRQ conflict has nothing to do with it. I have a P4C800-E (very similar to your motherboard) and my video card and USB ports are on IRQ 16 as well. Most people have things sharing the IRQ with their video card (despite other IRQs going unused) and it causes no problems. Some game companies just use IRQ sharing as an excuse to get rid of you because there is some very old hardware which doesn't share IRQs well. You are running an Intel 865 northbridge and a GeForce 6600 which should work just fine. Changing IRQs with modern hardware is virtually impossible and that's assuming that you go to the trouble of reinstalling Windows with the appropriate HAL and jump through all kinds of hoops in the BIOS (Microsoft background info here and here). Forget changing the IRQ and look at some other possibilities.

Since your video is locking up at random times it's probably not because of overheating. But just in case heat is a problem you should try running with the case open and a desk fan blowing on the video card. If the problems decrease or go away then you have some kind of cooling problem.

Have you tried slowing your AGP speed down to 4X and disabling fast writes (instructions here)? Unstable AGPs can cause some odd problems.

Have you checked the voltages on your power supply (instructions here). Strained power supplies can also cause your symptoms. How many amps can your power supply provide on the 3.3 volt, 5 volt, and 12 volt rail? It's written on a sticker on the side of the power supply.

Do you have another video card you can try (PCI is okay)? That would help make sure the video card really is the problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.