Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to purchase a XFX Geforce 6800 (link here). Other than the whole AGP/PCI-E thing, what other requirements should I be aware of before I buy it?

·
Registered
209 Posts
your going to want a 350W ps, ide say about 22A at the 3.3V+ but im not too good with power supplys.

you need AGP 4X or 8X

and... money

most people would recommend the 6600gt, the plain 6800 has more bandwith then it would ever use, where the 6600gt uses most of what it has, being more then this card would, ddr vers ddr3

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Compu was right on the mark with the recommendation on the PSU requirements. 20a or more is best for modern cards. There's no real difference between 4x and 8x in most games as the limiting factor is often the CPU or GPU, not the pipe. I have a regular 6800 and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Compumaniac12 said:
most people would recommend the 6600gt, the plain 6800 has more bandwith then it would ever use, where the 6600gt uses most of what it has, being more then this card would, ddr vers ddr3
When it come right down to it though, the 6800 does pump out better performance overall, right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
rebellion said:
When it come right down to it though, the 6800 does pump out better performance overall, right?
yes, it has a 4 pipe and 2 vertex advantage over the 6600GT, but a nicely overclocked 6600GT can probably get close to the 6800, but the 6800 is also a good overcclocker and can even be modded into a 16x1,6vp card if we are talkin about agp cards here and well that would just blow the 6600GT out of the water :D.

In any case tho, 6600GT < 6800NU hands down

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.