Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very old GeForce 8800 GTS video card attached to a (not as old) ASUS P8P67 motherboard that I'm looking to replace. Does anyone have recommendations for a video card (around $150) that would be good? I don't want to go overboard since it's older system. Thanks!

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,502 Posts
Tell us more about computer and particularly the PCI on this older computer.. Also if you're no longer using Vista, change the OS in your TSF UserCP so we can be of more help.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Windows 10
16 GB RAM
Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz (Sandy Bridge)
PCI-E x16 slot for video card

·
26,502 Posts
I'd stick with what you have. An upgrade would be over your budget unless someone is having a great sale.

·
292 Posts
Sure it'll work fine, though it's not a gaming centric card. It's perfomance is maybe 15% over the performance of your I7's iGPU. If you're just looking for a somewhat newer card that will work better witth nVIDIA's newer drivers, and not playing any recent AAA games on high or ultra (or even medium) settings that card would be fine. It really depends in your needs and what you will be primarily using the GPU for.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't play a lot of modern games, but I partially think I don't play modern games because my card is so old. I'm also concerned with the age of the 8800 (got it in 2006) that I'm afraid it will die any day now. I'm kinda surprised it's lasted this long.

·
292 Posts
The venerable I7 2600 though older is still respectable with 8 total threads. If you do not play modern games but you do enjoy games (as I do), then my advice would be to spend a bit more to get better performance to match your I7 2600's capabilities. Your processor is old now yes, but the IPC of that generation was actually quite good, and each step Intel had for the next 3 years was very light in terms of gaming performance from the I7 2600 to the I7 4770. There was a nice jump in IPC to the I7 6700-6700k but even that was a mere 10%. I would advise at least a GTX 1650, GTX 1650S, or GTX 1060 6GB or AMD RX 570-580-590.

·
26,502 Posts
I don't play a lot of modern games, but I partially think I don't play modern games because my card is so old. I'm also concerned with the age of the 8800 (got it in 2006) that I'm afraid it will die any day now. I'm kinda surprised it's lasted this long.
Some select their card by what games they want to play. Also, it's not your problem because your current card is pretty long, but size has to be considered as well as all the other secs that people usually think of.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the help. This is exactly what I needed.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,566 Posts
Wow perfect thread folks and gord, why not mark this thread solved in "thread tools" in the first post!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the Deluxe version of that mobo, and the K version of the CPU - though I've never overclocked. My biggest weakness is the Nvidia 560. Having said that, I don't game, I once in a while do video conversion with a dedicated card. And I've never come close to maxing out the cpu or mobo. I also have 16gb ram. But I have made one big change - my system drive is a SSD, Samsung 860, and that gave new life to this PC. So my question - have you gone to an SSD system drive?

·
26,502 Posts
Sometimes a card requires more power and might require more output than your existing power supply.
Suggested PSU = 350W.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sometimes a card requires more power and might require more output than your existing power supply.
I forgot to mention my Corsair PSU - Gold, around 7-800 watts. I was rather surprised at the time that the cost of a good PSU is not that much higher than a garbage PSU.

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,566 Posts
I forgot to mention my Corsair PSU - Gold, around 7-800 watts. I was rather surprised at the time that the cost of a good PSU is not that much higher than a garbage PSU.
Without specific make and model I can't tell you who the maker of that Corsair Psu is, but most of them today are low end makers as they trade on past reputation and the wattage on a poorly made Psu means little or nothing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nothing low end about Corsair Gold PSU's. Or their cases. Great combination. Oh, forgot their RAM, also really good. Oh, and despite its ability to support high wattage needs, when I put a watt meter on this system it was usually around 100 watts actual usage.

Now when I've got cash to spare, I'll want a better video card.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.