Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I would like to change my video card but I would like to know what I can buy that will not make my 3 years old computer explodes!!! lol

I have a DELL XPS 600 and I was considering a Geforce GTS 250.

Do you think my PC could handle that?

Right now I'm using a 7900GS and it kinda sucks.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Just as long as you have a PCI express x16 card slot available and you have the neccasary power connections you should be good. Oh and of course you have to have room in the case to fit the card in.

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
It's actually one of those Dell xps model that that has a proprietary powersupply. Not just in electrical terms , but it's physically a different shape. So your pretty much stuck with the bad dell powersupply it comes with. Which was only designed to handle the 6 and 7 series.

Not only that but the computer is infact very limited in hardware terms. The machine only supports the pentium D as it's best cpu. A gts 250 will be very held back by it.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
It's actually one of those Dell xps model that that has a proprietary powersupply. Not just in electrical terms , but it's physically a different shape. So your pretty much stuck with the bad dell powersupply it comes with. Which was only designed to handle the 6 and 7 series.

Not only that but the computer is infact very limited in hardware terms. The machine only supports the pentium D as it's best cpu. A gts 250 will be very held back by it.
I thought they used the standard power supplies for the XPS models? If it is that limited then can't he just get a new power supply, or is the motherboard connector proprietary too?

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
The power suppy is physically a different shape , It's a long flat box at the bottem of the case. Dell did this on alot of their older machine specifically to force consumers to purchase powersupplies from dell if they ever wanted to upgrade or replace them. A normal power supply won't even fit from the looks of it.

But once again even if he got a better unit the machine would still only max out at a pentium D.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem is that lately my video card has been overheating when I play games.
I don't really care about being able to play with higher graphics so I don't really need a great video card but it seems like buying another 7900 would be about the same price as buying something a lot better.

How about a 9600 GT....would it still be held back a lot by my crappy CPU?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.