Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing a ton of research because I am going to be building my first computer. I have purchased every component for my computer except for one item (guess what that is :) )

Well anyways...I hear the new ati radeon 9800 xt is coming out and I am pretty much thinking that I don't need to waste $500 if for like 5% increase in performance. My question though is about the directx 9.0 game engine. I was getting ready to get the nvidia FX5900 ultra 256 because it is supposed to be the fastest card. Then I find out that it sucks real bad at directx 9.0 games like half-life.

Is getting the nvidia cards to be more compatible with the dx9 a chipset or a driver issue? Can I just buy the latest nvidia card and just wait for a better driver to come out so it will be equal to the ATI cards or would I be better off just waiting for a newer and better nvidia card to come out that can actually handle dx9 better?

I am thinking about getting the 9800 pro 128mb just because of cost and dx9 performance. Help would be greatly appreciated and alos a hello to all of you guys. I am new hear as you can tell with my number of posts :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nobody knows? This seems like a slow replying board? Well thanks for the help guys. I will try somewhere else.

·
Registered
18 Posts
All I can say is that I have been using an nVidia FX5900 with DirectX 9.x and have not had any issues since the card came out. NVidia continues to release updated Detonator drivers to tweak the chipset performance at any rate.

It did just fine for me playing Half Life.

·
Registered
45 Posts
the new 52.13 drivers are much faster for my fx 5200 is direct x. ten percent faster. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see 25% faster on a beast like the fx 5900.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I plan on replacing my video card as well and I also don't want to spend a lot of money on something that will most likely be in the bargain bin in 18 months anyway. Right now I'm looking at the ATI 9600 Pro All-In-Wonder. This card will play games like Half-Life 2, allow me to watch TV as well as listen to FM radio on my computer. Right now that card is suppose to be going for about $250.00 but I'm betting that the price will drop after Christmas. This card will allow me to do everything that I want to do with my system. I'm not a serious gamer so video speed is not the most important thing on my mind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
choices choices

They are both good, fast cards, but for whatever reason, the 5900 will be considerably slower playing half-life 2 when it comes out. If that is your real only gripe, then go with the 9800, otherwise you can go with lower detail settings on the 5900. But for the price being the same, go with the 9800.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.