Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a HP Pavilion a1120n, model px759aa-aba w/pent 4 cpu 3.06 GHz, 2500 Mb ram Intel chipset 82915G/Gv/910Gl Express, Bios date 3/31/05, running windows XP Pro. It has onboard graphics, which I am attempting to upgrade. I tried a Geforce 6200 pci card, but couldn't complete the boot process. (kept getting a black screen). I discovered that I had an ATI graphics on board. Thought that might be the problem, or that the card was too much for the system to handle. Ordered Diamond Radeon stealth S9250PCI256SB graphics card. While waiting for it to come in I discovered your website, examined my power supply (Bestec 250W). Decided I needed more power, regardless. Unfortunately the HP ATX case will only accommodate certain dimensions. (3.375x5.9Approx.x5.5). So far the closest I've found on line is Bestec ATX 400W Rev: C. My question is will the graphics card and the [power supply combination work with the HP Pavilion a1120n. and do you know of a better power supply with the physical dimensions

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
similar question for another computer about graphics card upgrade

Another computer w/Ultra D0406 350W power supply, P4M800 Pro-M7 mother board, model AWRDACPI Phoenix-Award Bios v6.00pg, Intel Celeron D 3.20 GHz, 960Mb ram, VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP onboard video. I found that it has nvidea drivers installed, so I thought that I would use the EVGA 512-PI-N402-LR Geforce 6200 and upgrade the power supply from the 350W to a Seasonic USA M1211 520 Bronze. I tried the Geforce 6200 but got almost the same results that I got on the HP (failure to complete boot without freezing on a black screen. On this machine, I would sometimes get into the windows start-up screen before freezing.Do you think that I'm on the right track with the Geforce 6200 card and the Seasonic 520W power supply?

·
Team Manager - Networking, Moderator - Hardware
19,836 Posts
If it's not a standard sized unit, you are often stuck with the OEM units. And aside from using non standard sizes, some models also don't use standard cabling.

Personally, you would be better served saving your money and upgrading the whole PC and using standard hardware that can then be upgraded as needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's not really what I asked. I'm concerned with power supply and graphics card compatibility, and if too small of a power supply could have caused the freezing-up while trying to boot. thanks for your quick response.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
An underpowered/low quality PSU can prevent a PC from booting.
Bestec PSU's are junk.
The 520W SeaSonic is top quality and has sufficient power for the 6200 GPU.
We suggest a minimum 550W good quality PSU for any PCI-E GPU for extended use.

·
Team Manager - Networking, Moderator - Hardware
19,836 Posts
I know what you asked. And my point was that you won't find a quality, high output power supply in some odd non-standard size. All of the non-standard units that I've seen are OEM and/or some low quality brand.

If the model you found will fit, give it a try. It may work, it may work for a week, or it may not work it all.

OEM units in non-standard sizes are notorious for being low quality and/or not being able to supply consistent, clean power...especially under load. Both of which can cause it not to work, cause random problems such as BSOD's, or damage other hardware.

So my recommendation is to simply save and buy or build a PC that you can easily upgrade later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
after reviewing my previous post, it appears to be kind of smart mouthed. I apologize. That was not my intent. I found this site a couple of days ago and I am impressed with the level of knowledge you guys seem to have, also with the rapid response (many places don't respond at all). Also impressed with the up to date conversations. I understand what you're saying about the junk and the useless expense. I'm seriously reconsidering doing the make-over at all. My wife and I are not heavy duty gamers, we enjoy the old games like lands of lore, kings guest 8 and raptor. until I discovered Dosbox I had trouble getting them to play on xp. I don't know if will be possible at all with windows 7. That was the main reason for wanting to upgrade the old computers. I enjoy a challenge, but I don.t want to have to use both hands and both feet to play a game, and I'm not much interested in playing over the internet. So thanks a lot for your help, I'll be back even if I don't need anything. I was an industrial electrician before retiring and I find this stuff very interesting

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.