Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So I have a sony Vaio VGN-sz450n laptop, preinstalled with windows vista. I have also created a second volume, in which I have windows 7 RC installed. All was great until a couple of days ago, when I noticed something bizarre. Both in Windows 7 and in windows vista, the driver for the Geforce Go 7400 somehow became uninstalled (the laptop is currently using the intel 945 express chipset). So, I went to the sony site, re-downloaded the drivers for the video card, but when I go to install them (in both vista and windows 7, and in safe mode for each), I get an error saying that no such card could be found, and the application will terminate. Also, when I try hooking up an external monitor to the laptop, the laptop reads that there is a second monitor attached, but it is unable to use the duplicate the screen or anything (the external monitor won't turn on).

I don't know if the problem is due to the two volumes, or if there is any way of telling if the video card may be dying. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
From what I'm reading it has both the Intel Express and the 7400, with the 7400 beng discrete. In the device manager do you see any hardware issues indicating a VGA device that's not installed properly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello, Just so you know, I ended up solving this issue. These vaio models have a switch next to the power button to toggle between "stamina" and "speed." If the switch is in the stamina position, it will turn off the nvidia card and use the Intel card instead, and in my case, it also prevented me from installing the drivers for the nvidia card (since by having it in the stamina position, the nvidia card was disabled).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.