Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Geforce fx 5500 pci graphics card. When I install it, and I go to device manager and look at it it says that there aren't enough resources to use this card and to remove a device. Could anyone help?? I have a Dell Dimension 455- series with 250 watt power source, 1gb ram and 160 harddrive, pentium 4.

· Banned
3,462 Posts
THis probably refers to IRQ conflict. The computer allocates resources in the bios to each device. I would take out all PCI cards and use onboard graphics to start it up. Then shutdown (instead of restart). Insert the graphics card, switch on, enter the bios, disable the onboard graphics, restart and then you should have the IRQ allocated properly.

Hope this helps. If not ask, or google IRQ. You may get a faster result from clearing the CMOS.

good luck

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you reset the CMOS? And i took out all the pci cards and is still didn't work. I disabled many other devices and it still didn't work. I set the IRQ to 11 because it said it needed to be put on 11 or 10, and all the others and different ones and it still didn't work.. I put xp back on and it worked with that, but once I go back to vista it gives me the same problem.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
drivers for the card or?? I am beginner. But I had it installed and working with xp, then installed vista and it wouldn't work. It lets me mess with the resolution in display, it goes higher than my screen can even handle. But thats it. And it wont let me install the drivers from the cd it gave me. It installs them automatically way to fast. and if I uninstall them it wont let me install them til I restart and it does it all over again. I have windows ultimate and my aero doesn't work and my dreamscene doesn't work and I can't use the dvd maker or my movie maker. It's very frustrating. But I appreciate the help everyone has given me so far.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I updated my Bios I now have a bios version A08. I updated all the drivers I could. And it's still saying it. When I click on the card drivers it still says code 12 not enough resources, disable other devices. I disabled all I could and nothing changed. But when I click check for solutions it says it could not load driver software.. I have gone to nvidia.com and installed vista drivers, or atleast the best I could find. But still doesn't work. But the site is a lil confusing to me.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still says the same thing.

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

· Banned
3,462 Posts
Did you try and reset the CMOS? Hard shut down (ie shutdown and switch off power at power supply), but leave the power cable in.

Remove the battery from the motherboard for about 30 seconds, making sure you keep a part of your body (hand etc) on the chasis at all times (im cautious of static - i used to work on 2 million pound aircraft electronics) lol

Reinsert the battery and restart, hopefully you will find it solved. Let us know.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't done that exactly. I have shut down, took off power cord and took off battery then waited a couple minutes then put it all back and it still showed up. I tried the card on a friends computer who has vista and it worked. But I have more ram than him, and my power supply is just as strong. The only diff is he has an onboard graphics card and no agp slot. I dont have an onboard one and I do have an agp slot. Dont know if that helps. but I know the card works, and my computer meets the requirements.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mainboard : Dell Computer Corp. Unspecified
Chipset : Intel i845PE
Processor : Intel Pentium 4 @ 2400 MHz
Physical Memory : 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )
Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce FX 5500 [NV34.6]
Hard Disk : WDC (160 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P ATA Device
DVD-Rom Drive : SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616T ATA Device
Network Card : Broadcom Corp BCM4309 802.11a/b/g
Network Card : Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL (ICH4/ICH4-L) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate Professional 6.00.6000
DirectX : Version 10.00
Windows Performance Index : 1.0

Thats with the nvidia card in it.

· Banned
3,462 Posts
Although according to MS, the 5500 is compatiable, however it only takes 2 minutes on google to realise that it is not. Your windows performance index is extremley low, ps i get 5.8 (look at my specs). Dude, you need an upgrade all round to run Vista. 1gb is too low, your pentium is old, and your graphics is basically insufficient, and has been for years.

Sounds really bad i know, but Xp will run on your machine fine. Your sig says home premuium, but your report says ultimate.

there are several problems with your system, if you want to run vista, so upgrading your graphics will help, but it will not be enough.

Sorry dude.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The computer I put this card in has only 504 mb of ram and has a intel celeron. And it only got a 1.0 too. But when I put this card in it got a 2.8 rating. ANd I had premium but just upgraded to ultimate. so how would it be able to run on that kind of system but not this one?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.