Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short my old graphics card stopped working. My monitor had strange lines across it one day and after restarting I couldn't get to Windows. So I bought the same card, different brand. After plugging the new card in I got a burnt smell. I immediately turn off the machine and look for damage. I try again.. no smell, but the card fan doesn't spin and I get no video.

I take out the new card and put in the old. Same problem unfortunately. This is the only box I have with an AGP slot so I can't test the card elsewhere unless it's just plugging up the card via the power plug although I worry about killing another computer.

Some notes..
1. If I unplug my graphic's card power I get a horrible screeching sound.
2. If I remove my graphic's card completely, no screeching sound.
3. If I plug the power back in I get no screeching but also no fan.

Please help.

My card:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,
As someone has opened up a topic which is also related to my problem, I just want to add that I am also experiencing similar problems! I have a Sapphire ATI Radeon X1600XT and a few months ago my computer started making loud noises. I only found this out a couple of days ago that it was infact the fan on the graphics card. The fan on this spins, however, when it does it makes very loud grinding noises, and has got even worse in the past few days.
I've tried cleaning it with the air duster, which changed nothing, and as I blow the air onto the fan, making it move, also causes the loud noise.
Just want to know if there were any ideas to fix this before getting it sent away as it would take weeks to fix and replace with warranty: I've only had this for about 6 months!
Also, if I was to replace this card with a new one, could anyone suggest anything better than the one I have?
Thanks
I have an attachment of my video card:

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.