Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if the power of my AGC would have any bearing on the quality and ability of my DVD burner to record movies using a TV capture card, etc. I just purchase a Radeon 9250 with 256MB DDR ram and am wondering if this would help the quality of my DVD recordings? If it wouldn't, what WOULD improve my recordings? I am also using a lower-end Hauppage TV capture card. I'm just wondering if this Radeon video card is good enough for my purpose - I don't play games with it, just want good video quality. Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Your video card isn't involved in the quality of your video recordings. The image quality is limited by the quality of the TV capture card, the quality of your TV signal, or the amount of compression you're using when encoding the video. I think it's possible to use the GPU (graphics processing unit) on the video card to encode video but the programs I've used just use the CPU to do the video encoding if it isn't done by the TV capture card. One of my computers has a hauppauge TV card and its video quality is okay but not great. I have one with the older analog TV tuner. Those are the ones in the metal box on the TV card. Some newer TV cards have digital silicon tuners which are supposed to give better results but I've never used one myself. There's an article here which discusses the subject of tuners. If you're using standard high-quality video encoding like MPEG2 then your video quality shouldn't be limited by the encoding. It should be limited by the TV capture card or your TV signal. You just have to take into account that even a high quality TV signal doesn't look very good on a computer monitor. Computer monitors are significantly sharper than the best TVs so TV signals tend to look pretty ugly when displayed on a computer. TVs are very low resolution devices so they tend to hide the limitations of standard TV signals. Assuming your TV card has the older analog tuner, you may still be able to improve the quality of your video with a better video card with a digital tuner because they do clean up the signal a bit. You can see the difference in that review I linked above.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.