Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what's going on...

I've been using a rig, which has been working perfectly until Sun shortly after I started playing Dragon Age that day. I've been playing Dragon Age for the previous week without issue.

The problem is also reproduceable playing other higher end games that seem to stress the rig. I've run 3 clients of Eve simultaneously and as soon as I hit the mark of 70c for my GPU I get the below mentioned issue.

I've been able to play many high end games on this setup without issue, most at max settings and never had a problem until this started.

When I get the crash I get massive pixelation on the screen, odd sound though my head phones and a complete lock-up that I cannot Crtl-Alt-Del out of, I cannot alt-tab out of the program, I lose mouse control and TS etc.. complete freeze. I then have to hard boot etc.

I have taken apart the tower, blown out the cards etc...Being a normal clean freak and a regular cleaner, the tower, cards and internal surfaces are all looking good, no dust build ups etc. All cords seem well and securely connected.

After a bit of testing [I'm running a temp monitor - cpuid] It seems that every time my GPU core gets to the 70c range I'm due to crash.

Hardware and Software specs are:

This is off an Alienware Area 51-7500 R5 from 05/08

Win 7 64bit Home Premium - installed 2 weeks ago, full new install - worked cleanly and had no issues.
680i SLi Mobo
Intel E8400 cpu 3.0/1333 6m 2c processor
nvidia geforce 8800gt 512mb pci-e gpu - running latest nvidia drivers.
4x 1gb DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM
Seagate SATA 500GB 3g 7200rpm 16mb cache hard drive
750 watt oem psu

I've also tested voltages using cpuid:

Cpu vcore is at 1.09 running between 1.08 and 1.18
+12v is at 10.37, no fluctuation but shows 12.03v when I check the bios
AVCC 3.25v
+3.3v 3.25
VIN1 1.18
+5v 4.68 [4.66-4.68]
VIN3 1.82

Cpuid is also showing that my cpu fan is steady between 1506rpm and 1607rpm, however my "chipset" fan is running steady at 4900rpm w/ spikes up to 11228rpm.

The core 2 temps are:
46c and 46c respectively.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Acier-

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
Most likely those sensor readings aren't correct , just use the bios to read temps voltage and fan speeds for now. Try to get that gpu way cooler , lower the room temp , add more case fans , ect..

Also , alienware's own brand of power supplies are terrible and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the culprit. Bad power supplies can actually cause heat problems within a machine due to poor performance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Understood - is this likely to happen out of the blue though? I'm just suprised it went from fully functional no issues one day to - crashing etc the next.

Also, if it is the psu, is there a way to test that other than going out and dropping cash for a new unit?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Is 70 that high? mine gets at least that hot all the time without crashing, what is a normal temp for a pc running highend games?
Mine is 60 just surfing, nothing really running.

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
Hardware problems can easily "happen out of the blue". You could just borrow a better power supply rather then buying one. Based on your specs it would need to be a 600w or higher with 26 amps on the 12v rail and an 80+ certification.

Also check and make sure the cards fan is physically still spinning.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fan is still physically spinning and looks good. As the computer seems "stable" when the gpu is under 70 - what is pointing you towards psu? I'm feeling excellent air flow in the case atm and the gpu is holding steady at 55-57c when not being pressed by anything other than browsing etc.

Also, borrowing a psu is not really an option for me atm. Is there a software program that I can use to monitor the psu and determine if that is the issue before going out and buying a new one, installing etc?

Thank you very much btw.

Acier-

·
Premium Member
12,666 Posts
You could use software but it may not always show the correct readings. A digital volt meter would be best to check to see if it's actually producing what it's said to produce on it's sticker.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After installing a new 850w psu, Thermaltake tr2 rx, I am now having the same issue.

I was running Dragon Age, the gpu temp rose to 73 then i got the massive pixelation/freeze from which i had to do a hard shut down.

Next guess video card?

Acier-

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Video card cooling fan and vents are clean and freshly blown out. Fan on the card is still operational and up and running.

Is 75c a super high/auto cut-off temp ? I've seen tons of folks posting about 90c+ as being hot etc.. Also, any ideas as to why shutting down like this?

Acier-

·
Registered
19 Posts
no error msg coming up at all. The computer does not crash out itself, I have to execute a hard restart as it is in a "frozen" state.

I've just executed both a memtest and a cpu stress test and both passed fine.

Just ran GPUtool and at 76c under stress testing the screen pixelated and then the screen shut off however the system did not shut down - that's new.

I actually thought it was shutting down and when I noticed it was not I did a hard restart as I did not want the card melting etc.. however.. this SEEMS to me and my thinking to point to it being a card issue - but what do I know?

However, upon restart my screen/colors all seem fine.

I am "guesstimating" that this is a card issue but honestly still don't feel certain about that. Anyone have thoughts on the matter?

Yes, I am going to place a new card in here this evening but if there are other ideas I'd like to hear them before I go down that road.

Again tyvm to all who are helping on this.

Acier-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.