Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here is the situation. I recently (a 3/4 days ago?) installed trial version of BitDefender on my comp, and turned all the anti-virus/firewall/and whatnot gizmos associated with it. Since installation, it would constantly (every hour or so maybe?) say it has found virus on my comp and will quarantine it. The thing is, it's the exact same virus name every time (Trojan something something), and everytime I would just delete the virus from the quarantine zone.

Now today after I installed a game Age of Wonders, the virus alert announced it has found several virus -again same one as before, and I deleted them from quarantine zone.

After a while, I found that for some icons I click (e.g. firefox, adobe reader, etc) a window opens up asking what program I want to open the file. For some other icons, (mostly system related ones like add or remove programs, add hardwares, system, etc) they simply do not open and instead give me error message "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe application not found". And then there are some programs which are not affected, like MS Office.

Now I suspect this is because when I deleted those viruses earlier, I actually deleted the vital files which are supposedly infected by viruses. Now I have no idea what to do to fix this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visitng Expert
4,279 Posts
Hello fiellixiang

Is rundll32.exe actually missing from C\Windows\system32?
If it is, look if you have a copy of it in C\Windows\system32\dllcache
Copy it over to C\Windows\system32

Also
Go here

Run the "EXE File Association Fix"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a rundll32 file in the system32 folder. However, it does not have the ".exe" suffix, and it looks different from the other files. (Other files have 2 gears on them, the rundll32 is just blank).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rundll32 in dllcache folder is exactly like the one in system32 folder (no .exe suffix), does that mean it's damaged as well?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.