Tech Support banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you have 1 Gbps Internet (very very fast internet speed), and you have 12 Mbps Wi-Fi, you will not be able to do gaming with SERIOUS games (Candy Crush=OK, MMO... no no no). You MUST know how fast your Wi-Fi is to determine if it is fast enough for the games you want to play. Ethernet is FABULOUS & FANTASTIC for all kinds of gaming and streaming video. MUCH faster than Wi-Fi.

Wi-Fi 3 = "g" speed = 50 Mbps max, 25 Mbps typical
Wi-Fi 4 = "n" speed = 600 Mbps max, 200 Mbps typical
Wi-Fi 5 = "ac" speed; AC is a variable speed standard, your devices will be labeled AC1200 if they have 1200 Mbps performance or AC1750 if they have 1750 Mbps performance (note, real world speeds are much lower, closer to 600 Mbps)
Wi-Fi 6 = "ax" speed; new in 2019, this standard will replace wireless AC and earlier versions over time. Up to 10 Gbps (10,000 Mbps) but realistically, more like 4-5 Gbps real-world speed.

Signal strength is the other variable... weak Wi-Fi signals can run slower just to keep the connection established. See if you can find something on your computer that shows how strong or weak your Wi-Fi signal is... you can even use your phone for this by turning-on Wi-Fi and observing the Wi-Fi signal strength icon on the phone while the phone is next to your computer. Also, other people using Wi-Fi at the same time will reduce the data speed available to you.

Ethernet speeds are 10, 100, 1000 and 10,000 Mbps. 1000 Mbps = 1 Gbps (same thing). You will need 1Gbps (gigabit ethernet) Ethernet or 10 Gbps Ethernet also known as 10 gigabit Ethernet. You should have 1 Gbps Ethernet MINIMUM for gaming. Today 1 Gbps Ethernet devices are inexpensive. 10 Gbps devices are a bit more expensive, but you won't have to replace your old internet as soon. You do not get the full Ethernet speed in the real world either, but you can get up to 800 Mbps from a 1000 Mbps Ethernet connection. If I was going to go to high-speed wireless today, I would go "ax" and spend a little more to get longer-term high speeds. But this can mean also getting a USB 3.1 Ethernet adapter that has 1 Gbps or 10 Gbps capability as well as an Ethernet switch with the same capability (presuming your cable or DSL internet modem has an Ethernet output port that is 1 Gbps or faster.

Bottom line, Wi-Fi and Ethernet are BOTH fast enough for MMO gaming... BUT both of them are also potentially too slow for good MMO gaming. So whether you choose to go Ethernet or continue with fast Wi-Fi is up to you. I don't think those pings are necessarily pointing at your issue. If you are moving enough data, your "experience" should be fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If you have 1 Gbps Internet (very very fast internet speed), and you have 12 Mbps Wi-Fi, you will not be able to do gaming with SERIOUS games (Candy Crush=OK, MMO... no no no). You MUST know how fast your Wi-Fi is to determine if it is fast enough for the games you want to play. Ethernet is FABULOUS & FANTASTIC for all kinds of gaming and streaming video. MUCH faster than Wi-Fi.

Wi-Fi 3 = "g" speed = 50 Mbps max, 25 Mbps typical
Wi-Fi 4 = "n" speed = 600 Mbps max, 200 Mbps typical
Wi-Fi 5 = "ac" speed; AC is a variable speed standard, your devices will be labeled AC1200 if they have 1200 Mbps performance or AC1750 if they have 1750 Mbps performance (note, real world speeds are much lower, closer to 600 Mbps)
Wi-Fi 6 = "ax" speed; new in 2019, this standard will replace wireless AC and earlier versions over time. Up to 10 Gbps (10,000 Mbps) but realistically, more like 4-5 Gbps real-world speed.

Signal strength is the other variable... weak Wi-Fi signals can run slower just to keep the connection established. See if you can find something on your computer that shows how strong or weak your Wi-Fi signal is... you can even use your phone for this by turning-on Wi-Fi and observing the Wi-Fi signal strength icon on the phone while the phone is next to your computer. Also, other people using Wi-Fi at the same time will reduce the data speed available to you.

Ethernet speeds are 10, 100, 1000 and 10,000 Mbps. 1000 Mbps = 1 Gbps (same thing). You will need 1Gbps (gigabit ethernet) Ethernet or 10 Gbps Ethernet also known as 10 gigabit Ethernet. You should have 1 Gbps Ethernet MINIMUM for gaming. Today 1 Gbps Ethernet devices are inexpensive. 10 Gbps devices are a bit more expensive, but you won't have to replace your old internet as soon. You do not get the full Ethernet speed in the real world either, but you can get up to 800 Mbps from a 1000 Mbps Ethernet connection. If I was going to go to high-speed wireless today, I would go "ax" and spend a little more to get longer-term high speeds. But this can mean also getting a USB 3.1 Ethernet adapter that has 1 Gbps or 10 Gbps capability as well as an Ethernet switch with the same capability (presuming your cable or DSL internet modem has an Ethernet output port that is 1 Gbps or faster.

Bottom line, Wi-Fi and Ethernet are BOTH fast enough for MMO gaming... BUT both of them are also potentially too slow for good MMO gaming. So whether you choose to go Ethernet or continue with fast Wi-Fi is up to you. I don't think those pings are necessarily pointing at your issue. If you are moving enough data, your "experience" should be fine.
My wifi card is an n/g/b kind and it is old so I do not expect super-fast internet speeds, nor do I have THAT fast internet connection. It is a 60mbps plan and it is quite sufficient for my needs. I am not a professional gamer so I believe I don't need a gigabit connection. I play csgo, gta5 and other games and some times .io games like krunker.io for a quick 10 min match when I am free, I did not have any problem running these a while ago but now it is very unstable, very frequent ping spikes, some times it fails to even reach the internet(just for 2-3 sec).

The problem here is the instability of my existing connection and not my internet speed.

Also, the ISP have appointed a new person in my area, and for some reason he was not able to receive any requests or complaints. Yesterday he replied and said that there might be a problem in the thing above the building (mainly the hardware problem and sorry I forgot what it is called). So he told me to mail the complaint so that they can now initiate the complaint registration and seems like it will be solved soon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also, check the power management tab of the network card and see if the option that allows the computer to turn off the device to save power is disabled.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Also, check the power management tab of the network card and see if the option that allows the computer to turn off the device to save power is disabled.

Thanks, I did that but I believe it is not active while the laptop is plugged in and I experience the problems regardless of the charging state of the laptop.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
6,839 Posts
21 - 26 of 26 Posts