Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched up and down the Internet for information on an issue like this but it's very nature has made it very difficult to really find anything at all. So I've decided that coming to a forum where people really know what they're talking about is about my best bet. I'll do my best to provide as much information as I can, but forgive me if there's something vital you think I've left out. Just make me aware, and I'll provide as much information as I can. Also, thank you very much for taking the time to read my post and help with my problem.

The actual issue that occurs works something like this... There are two major things that happen: one, the system stops accepting input from either the mouse or keyboard completely. Even the num lock, caps lock, and scroll lock buttons will not function (i.e. toggle said lights on the keyboard.) This means that when the lock occurs, alt-tab, ctrl-alt-delete, and such commands are useless. The second occurrence is a sudden distortion in the sound. It will become, in an instant, very garbled and echo a small bit. However, despite these two issues anything that happens to be running at the time of the lock will continue to run without issue. At first I was convinced it was simply a problem with the game World of Warcraft because that was the only time I had encountered it. When the lock occurred, my game would continue to run without issue. The chat box kept scrolling, my character animated, everything was fine apart from not being able to do anything and the sound being funky. But then the lock happened when I was just browsing the internet. However, both times I was watching some form of streaming video like youtube. And again, the video continued to play unabated, save for the messed up sound.

I recently switched from Windows XP to XP x64 and did so with a system format. The issue started after this switch. I've got all of my system's drivers installed, and all the hardware runs just fine. But I do have a single unknown device in my device manager list. See image.

I've tried all the troubleshooting I could find about unknown devices, and because I haven't found any solutions either through safe-mode or services management and all of my hardware is to my knowledge functioning I've been unable to solve this issue as well. Though it was my instinct that the two issues were likely unrelated.

Below is a short rundown of my system, and I've also attached my dxdiag file. Thanks for any help you may be able to offer, and don't hesitate to ask me for more information.

Windows XP x64
Asus M379A-T Delux
AMD Phenom Quad Core at 2.5ghz
4gig RAM
Radeon HD 4870 x2 in Crossfire
Corsair TX 750w PSU

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coolfreak said:
Have you tried using a different keyboard? Just to verify that it's not the keyboard acting up?
I have not, no. I'll give that a shot the next time it happens, but my instinct is that this isn't the case. It's not just the keyboard, but also the mouse that stops responding. Not only can I not click with the mouse, but the cursor also stops where it is and will not move.

dai said:
you need a min of 850w for crossfire preferably 1000w
Can anyone else confirm this? I've read on numerous forums that 750w is ample for these two cards. On top of that, ATI's crossfire website shows not only my model PSU as compatible, but also the 650w variant below mine from Corsair. Also, while I appreciate the info and I realize that a common ailment of underpowered systems or overheating systems is random crashes, I'm inclined to think this isn't a power or heat issue. My bios shows nominal CPU temps of about 54C after I reboot from a crash, and GPU-Z never shows my cards any hotter than 60C even under heavy load.

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
Keyboard and mouse activities are gui so uninstalling your graphics drivers and reinstalling would be a good step.

Be sure to use a decent 'remover' to get all the graphics driver residue.

As for power issues, you might run something and switch to a monitoring program to review voltages while the application runs to verify your psu is providing adequate power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

On the advice of a friend, I decided to go ahead and format the system. I still had everything backed up from before, so it was easy enough and I decided to go with Windows 7 as well. The switch took care of that pesky unknown device problem, but unfortunately I've just encountered the strange hard-lock issue again. Given that I did a total system format, and even changed operating systems, this must mean I've got a hardware issue. Would I be mistaken to make this assumption? Any advice or ideas out there?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.