Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most people probably saw the title and that it would be something simple.. but this very very strange..

Right now I'm on a XPSP2 machine. Networked to a Vista Laptop but I'm not even getting into my Vista/XP networking problems. I connect via Cable modem hard connected to a wireless router.

For the past.. maybe 1 month. I could be browsing in a web browser then open up a mail program and email will not hit the servers. It doesn't look like it's timing out either.. it just spits back instant failures for checking 10+ pop servers. btw I can ping my mail server. This also happens vice versa. I could be checking email and no browser will work. Hell .. even today I was using winamp.. and couldn't browse or get email. Closed winamp down, waited 2 minutes and I could browse again??

oddest part.. I can ping while this problem is occuring. both by IP and host name. So it's not DNS. I have turned all types of firewalls off and still problem occurs. I can only imagine that something is closing off certain ports when I have one open.. I'm simply boggled.. anyone?

In addition my XP box can see my Vista box and access shared files etc.. but my Vista box can't always see my XP box. Sometimes my Vista box will see my XP box BUT ping end up being timed out..

Ideas???? :4-dontkno

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually when I plugged in my first wireless router last month this problem started. It was a borrowed wireless router so I thought it might have been the crappy linksys firmware. I have since upgraded to a Belkin N1 and still have the same problem. In addition I was not even networked on the first linksys router. So obviously the router is causing an issue.. but any router is causing the issue.

I'm almost 100% default on my router config.

Features - NAT
Enabled - Firewall Settings Disabled
SSID - Belkin_N1_Wireless_F69665
Security - Enabled
DHCP - Enabled

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump.. maybe the security setting I'm using on my router can cause issues??? NAT table? Settings in TCP/IP.. I don't believe I reghacked any custome TCP/IP settings though..

any MSDOS commands to test port opennings and monitor failures of packet traffic? I run admin tools in XP but the only system errors I get is say..

Interesting.. found in the event viewer for system

"The redirector failed to determine the connection type."
source is mrxSmb.

I have a couple of those warning in my event viewer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bump again.... maybe this belongs in the networking area.. but then again. they're sorta related..

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Sorry about not replying, I must not have seen the auto-email.

Anyway, are you trying to connect via wired or wireless? If you are connecting wireless, does the trouble continue if you connect wired?

Also, looking into that error there is a slight tiny chance that disabling NetBIOS may help in your situation. Directions here.

Hope it helps,
BMR777

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no dice on that either.. but everything "seems" fine on my vista box. I just configured an email client and all seems fine.. My xp problem is about 50% of the time though..

Maybe this will shed some possibilities. I have 3 icons in my network & connections area. One LAN, and 1394 Connection and 1394 Connection 2.

If you look at the Ipconfig/all these 2 connections comes up as:

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface's. I attempted to disable but it wouldn't all me. After I killed my LAN connection. I could disable them and re-enable the LAN. Didn't help.. but maybe there's a possibility that these 1394 network adapters are creating confusion w/ packets? Just a thought.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for the first time.. links are actually working when launched from my IE browser..

The only significant change that I've made is that I reconfigured my router and OS's to use an Open DNS rather than my very very very crappy ISP DNS.

Maybe.. that fixed it.. not sure.. or maybe a fluke. I do have a number of errors in my admin controls event views for DHCP reviewing the address. and DCOM: "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. "

I just haven't looked up the program that created the DCOM error yet. But that DCOM event error looks like it hits about 5 times a day..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nope same problem again........ Let's say I'm using OE. I try to use an html link in an email. The PC launches IE and it hangs and hangs and hangs looking for the information, status bar shows ie waiting for a respnce from the website. Eventually it looks like it times out and page cannot be displayed. While this is all going on I can still even ping the sites by name or ip. I have downgraded IE, upgraded,etc.. etc.. (i originally thought this was an IE problem). Still no dice.. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yup definately still not fixed..

so let's turn this back down to basics..

-I'm browsing the web.. can be firefox, IE, opera.. etc. .
I open up Winamp.. or OE..

-my internet connection to browse webpages is gone..
I can ping websites. I can ping their URL's.

-So what I do is close down Winamp or OE. Wait about 10 seconds or so. (it's not instantaneous) and suddenly my ability to browse webpages has returned.

now since I can ping. Obviously I can hit it w/ packets and get a reply saying hello i'm here. tracert looks fine.. speeds are very quick. I can turn the firewall off (windows firewall), I run AVG virus. I have never had a computer issue I couldn't fix. Well except 10 worms running around on my PC. Keep working on this box.. or nuke it and turn it into a 2003 server?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do have some installed on the PC. BitComet I believe is the only current P2P program installed on my PC. Also.. yes I am Comcast.

In effect that should only make a difference when downloading/uploading torrents. I use the program maybe once a month. From my understanding many users have run tests and saw that they were throttled only during download/upload. The work around I heard was to merely click the pause button during torrent transfer if you wanted to browse.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
If it starts with Windows, it could be working silently without your knowledge. Try disabling the software and stopping it from running with Windows (you can do that either in the program, or by going start > run > type msconfig > startup tab > uncheck the program's checkbox) for diagnostics. Comcast's filtering / blocking is far from stable so I wouldn't be suprised if that was interfering somehow. Anyway we need to rule that out.

BMR777

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh i've had that done for sometime now.. I only run essential windows programs on startups.. but I did verify.. and check.. I'm checking a couple Internet speed tests and tracerts. Even gonna see if I can kill and completely rebuild my TCP/IP stack.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
speeds are very decent.. I once had them even better w/ a little TCP tweaking in the registry. but that was prior to reformatting. 3678 kb/s down, 350 kb/s up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.