Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Plextor PX-708A DVD Drive in a computer that uses Windows XP Home and has 1 gig of ram. It ran without a problem for more than a year until today. After writing a DVD data disk using Nero, the disk ejected and the computer re-booted. Plextor technical support had me swap cables, run a diagnostic test with the IDE cable detached (it passed the diagnostic test), use msconfig to disable all programs in the start menu, and remove and reinstall the device. Nothing worked. Here's the mysterious part: if I use a DVD (video or data) from a manufacturer, it runs without a problem. If I use a CD or DVD that I previously created (video or DVD data), the system crashes and reboots. It does not matter what brand of CD or DVD. Anything that I have created previously crashes the computer. The Plextor people are stumped. I've also done a virus check, disk check, malware check, etc. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
878 Posts
The only other thing I can think of is maybe your firmware isn't up to date? What motherboard do you have, i know plextor had problems with the nVidia nForce4 boards.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hmm, i dunno then. Could just be a bum drive. Out of all the hardware I have, the optical drive is the first to go. I've got a little stack of 3 or 4 to go to the recycling center next time it comes around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is an update on the problem described earlier. I bought and installed a new DVD drive. The same problem occurred with it. It can read a disk from a manufacturer, but when I put a disk that I have created, the system crashes and reboots.

I'm going to uninstall my CD writing software next and see what happens.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I uninstalled Roxio, rebooted and the problem was solved. Not sure why, but I have read in other forums that Nero and Roxio don't always work together. Sure wish that I had done that in the first place!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Glad you figured it out!! Kinda feel bad that i suggested a new drive now :embarased

Can't these software companies just get along?:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.