Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok current problem is that my labtop of 3 years I think is going bad. Its making a noise it never did when I first purchased it. Startup takes like 5 minutes and you cant do anything other than wait for everything to load. Also today i got a black screen after booting up says unable to verify security options after typing in my username and pass.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hi thecompnub,
I'm another member like yourself. I've had similar problems I'd run disc cleanup then defrag the copmputer, then scan it with some anti virus. that should eliminate most problems.
There is also the chkdsk program in windows that will scan you HD for problems. If you open computer and right click on the HD and choose properties it will open a window with tabs. The general tab has disc cleanup and tools has the other three tools you can use. Sometimes you have to restart to run chkdsk after choosing to schedule it restart and it should run. Make sure to choose the scan for and attempt recovery option.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Greetings thecompnub,

In my experience there are 3 main sources of noises comeing from computers: Fans, hard drives, and optical drives. Turn the machine on and open the optical drive, if no sound then the optical drive is the issue. Fans should get louder as the machine gets hotter and shouldn't effect the boot time. Hard drives going bad can cause some wierd noises and effect boot times. Lookup Ultimate Boot Disk and run the IBM Drive Fitness test on the boot disk to check the hard drive. The slow boot could be a hard drive going bad or just an old load of the OS. Consider doing a fresh install should the hard drive check out.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
htucker: I just your posts about "Lockdown Windows 7 for a lab environment" I would be very interested in how you did it. Could you email me with how it was done?

:pray:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.