Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time posting here, and it's kind of an emergency. I was playing a video game on my computer last night when suddenly the monitor shut off. A few seconds later the computer shut off. I then turned the computer on, and it powered on, but the screen stayed black. The monitor was on, but nothing was showing up. Naturally, I assumed it was a video card problem. As it was 3 in the morning, I decided to go to sleep and fix it today. Well, I went to turn it on this morning, and it didn't start. No LEDs lit up, no fans went on, nothing. I opened it up and there was no obvious problems from my inspection. I'm guessing that there is a problem with both the power supply and the video card, or with the motherboard. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to replace all three of these items. If anyone knows why this happened and how to fix it, please help me! :confused:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hi and Welcome,

Was this system on a surge protector??? Did you notice if there was a power surge anywhere when your system went down??? Have you tried getting any POST errors???

Try removing the video card and powering it up and see if you get POST. Do the same for the memory... Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried unplugging the video card and starting the computer. Again, nothing happened. The computer just isn't starting. I think the power supply is fried. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Your most inexpensive solution is to check the power supply, open it up, don't touch anything inside !! Look at the fuse, see if its toasted or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.