Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I had System Restore turned off - so I'm screwed there.

I rebooted my PC (HP Laptop, XP Pro w/latest updates) and the first thing I noticed was the icons on the desktop looked funny. Instead of the "shadow" around them, there was white, like the graphics depth was wrong. Then, I saw the little icons near the clock showing up in small boxes! When it finished booting, the START button was not there.

If I press the Start Button key on the keyboard, a start menu appears, but it looks odd. It show up in the upper left corner of the screen, and there are no icons in it at all. If I select Programs, the menu does open up, but again no icons.

When I start Windows Explorer, I can see the files and browse the PC, but the view is strictly large icons. I cannot change them as they remain as large icons.

Whenever I try and access anything with the MMC, I get an error stating that the application needs to be reinstalled.

Another thing, when I get to the display properties, any changes I make do not take effect. Resolution, color depth, no change at all.

I do not think that this is virus driven, I think I screwed something up with Windows. This happened after I ran a CleanUp4.0 on the PC, to get rid of all of the temporary files and stuff.

Prior to running CleanUp, I did my regular NAV, AdAware and SPyBot scans, and I even did a PandaActive Scan today.

I was able to use Windows Explorer and drag my Outlook Express data and the My Documents folder to the D drive, expecting to have to reinstall or restore an old backup, but if anyone here knows just what I screwed up, I would appreciate a clue or two.

I tried Safe Mode, I tried "Last Known Configuration", and I also tried loggin in as Administrator, just incase my profile was trashed, but the same results apply.

There is definately something screwed up with my windows install, and I cannot recall how to manually restore a registry, or if that would even help.

HELP!

:-jon

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: This problem was caused by CleanUp! 4.0. I guess it's happened to quite a few people who have XP. Not sure if it's version specific, because I used this program before after a SpyWare run-in, at the suggestion of the crew here, and it worked flawlessly. The version that I used today, I downloaded today,

So - If you have XP - DON'T USE CLEANUP 4.0. The programmer indicates that version 4.5 should be better. I checked out their forum and there are people in the same boat as me.

Allegedly, booting with the XP CD and doing a "(R)epair" will replace the files that CleanUp erroneously deleted. I will report back to this thread the results, as this will undoubtedly happen to more folks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe a mod can change this thread title to "CleanUp 4.0 causes Windows XP to crash", so others who get in this fix can find it with the search engine.

I used a WinXP SP2 CD, booted from it into a Repair, and it basically reinstalled Windows and fixed my setup. I had to re-activate of course, but now everything is back to normal, and all of my settings were preseved.

WHEW!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.