Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of convoluted and I'm at a loss for what to do.

Short summary:
  • I have 3 drives, let's call them A:, B: and C:
  • My laptop has 2 hard drive bays, I used to have A: installed plus another drive for random storage.
  • Windows 7 was installed on A:.
  • I swapped out the random storage drive for drive B: and I installed Windows 7 again on B:
  • I now have a dual boot system, both booting into different copies of Windows 7 from both A: and B:
  • I started using B:'s OS solely and proceeded to delete all of A:'s Windows files by booting into B: and then deleting the files after taking ownership of all of A:'s windows files.
  • After doing so, I expected my dual boot option to dissapear whenever I booted up the computer, this was not the case, I was still given the option to boot into two copies of Windows 7...
  • I bought a new hard drive, C: and proceeded to replace drive A: such that I have B: with a copy of Windows 7 on it and C: with nothing on it. However, when I try to boot in this configuration, I cannot boot into B:, no boot is recognized and my system defaults into trying to find boot media from my DVD drive.
  • I then removed C: to see if my system would boot with only B: installed, and I run into the same problem, I cannot boot into B:... even though it's the only drive present and it does have a working OS.
  • When I reinstall A:, I am able to boot again.
  • I've tried repairing the MBR through the repair on the Windows 7 cd by running "bootsect /nt60 C:" in command console repair. It reported successful but did not fix the problem.
  • I also tried going into "msconfig" to delete the second boot option from the MBR, made it permanent so that I no longer get the dual boot option when I have the A:, B: config... but that did not solve the problem either.
What's wrong with my system/MBR/hard drives??

*note* C: is not a faulty drive, I was able to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 onto it and boot from it in the C:, B: configuration... but this is not the desired result, I would still like to boot from B: and have C: as extra storage.

Thanks in advance! Hope this wasn't too confusing.
And apologies if this should belong in the hard drives forum instead of this one...

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, Acting
34,376 Posts
Wipe both HDDs with KillDisk - http://jcgriff2.com/killdisk_imgburn.html

Take 1 physical HDD out. Install Windows 7 on the remaining HDD.

After install, go into Disk Management and change the OS drive letter from c: to b:
START | type diskmgmt.msc | RIGHT-click on drive c: (on the line saying "disk 0"), select option to change drive letter

Insert 2nd physical HDD. Use Disk Management to format NTFS and assign drive letter c:

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the response, but is there any way to fix this issue without having to wipe my HDDs? I'd like to keep my current OS intact!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry for the double post but I found a solution and it works great.

http://idoneitmyself.wordpress.com/2009/11/15/windows-7-suddenly-wont-boot-reboot-and-select-proper-boot-device-or-insert-boot-media-in-selected-boot-device-and-press-any-key-repairing-the-windows-7-bootloader/

I followed that article starting from:
"This led me to the Nuclear Holocaust recovery process documented in the Neosmart wiki."

Everything before that is just preamble.

This is a very useful way to do it if you don't want to wipe everything. It rebuilds the bootloader and bootmanager. Awesome :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.