Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am having a problem with my computer. I play Guild Wars and like to keep GuildWiki up as I play. Usually it works fine, however I got a new computer and am experincing lag between when I type and then the characters appear and then I scroll with my mousewheel and when the page moves. This isn't a small lag but something that is very noticable. My new comp is a Dell Inspiron 1505 with a 1.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 2GB RAM at 533MHz. I dont have this problem on my other computer that has only 512MB RAM and a Centrino 1.6 GHz. Someone on aonther forum suggested I run a mem test which I left overnight and tested 2000% of the 833MB RAM I was told to test with no errors. I than changed the Virtual Memory thinking this might have been a problem but it had no effect. When I open the task mager GW takes 200,000-300,000 K RAM (I'm not sure what the K means, it cant possibly be 200 GB). I defragged my this morning about 5 times to make sure everyhting was in order and none of it helped.
The problem occurs in Firefox 2.0 and the new IE (IE7? I forget the number).

Excuse me if this isn't the right forum for this post...

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
Greetings Cataclysm, and Welcome to TSF! :4-clap:

I think that your problem is more than likely Hardware related, so I will transfer you to The Hardware forum, once I have given you some instructions for you to help us assist you.

Please go to these links in my signature..."Everest™Home Edition" and 'SensorsViewPro™'.

Download both programs....now from Everest™, please go into the "Computer Section" under 'Summary' and post a screenshot of the entire page...it might need two screenshots.

Also we will need the opening panel from "SensorsViewPro™" so that we can see the output voltages of your Power Supply Unit.
It would be good if you could physically look at the sticker on the side of the PSU and tell us the Wattage output.

Once you have posted this information, we will be in a better position to advise you with regard to you issue.

Just post back if you have any queries/concerns.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
i would say you have a tempreture problem your h/drive is showing 47 they need to be below 40 what is your cpu temp like
when you are posting about a laptop please indicate it in the first post or the reply you receive will be for a desktop

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
SensorsView says it cant find some sensors. All I have is the HD0 temp. My BIOS is also confusing me, I cont fint it there either... I have teh newest Dell A10 BIOS. I think I'm going to format, will that help?

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
i don't deal in laptops maybe they don't have the sensors on the m/b did you check the bios
see if everest lists the them
check your air vents are clear of dust,try a book under each side so the air can freely circulate underneath and see if it makes a difference

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All the vents are clear and I have it on a solid surfice now, as soon as I turn on GW the HD0 temp jumps to 53 C!!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
as soon as I turn on GW the HD0 temp jumps to 53 C!!
If the temp jumps immediately, my guess would be it's not the hard drive temp but the cpu temp being read.

adjust your keyboard repeat rate and delay rate in control panel>keyboard and the scroll speed in mouse properties (it's measured in lines moved per click) and see if it makes a difference

sometimes virtual memory settings depend on the game - some can use all available while others get lost in it. You might want to try lower settings as well as with no virtual memory. No actually equals the maximum amount possible - windows is designed to always use virtual memory - if a size isn't specified, it uses the entire disk as virtual memory

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
If the temp jumps immediately, my guess would be it's not the hard drive temp but the cpu temp being read.

adjust your keyboard repeat rate and delay rate in control panel>keyboard and the scroll speed in mouse properties (it's measured in lines moved per click) and see if it makes a difference

sometimes virtual memory settings depend on the game - some can use all available while others get lost in it. You might want to try lower settings as well as with no virtual memory. No actually equals the maximum amount possible - windows is designed to always use virtual memory - if a size isn't specified, it uses the entire disk as virtual memory
Adjusted the keyboard settings, it makes no difference. I'll set the Virtual Mem to 0 than.
UPDATE: No effect.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Anti-virus, firewall, popup blockers, security settings?

Just having IE7 has been causing some issues for some people, including putting an additional load on the cpu even when not in use

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I formated it hoping that would fix it and it did... For a short time. I tested it baefore I went to work and as I ran the game the letters appeared instantly and the scroll wheel was as sensitive as ever. I got home and tried it again and the problem is back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Cant find the edit button, sorry for the double post but I found out the problem goes away when I minimize the game instead of just leaving it open and bringing the web browser over on top of it, and when my game is loading it also is temporarily fixed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.