Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago, I purchased a brand new Sony Viao laptop (Windows 7 Home). This thing has an i7 processor, dedicated graphics, a 7200 RPM hard drive, etc... it's very powerful by laptop standards.

Despite this hardware, I've been experiencing some really bizarre behavior. For some reason, I'll experience frequent, intermittent lockups. I experience them at least once a minute, and each lockup lasts about 10-15 seconds.

Here are some examples:

- I go to load a page in Firefox, and while the page is loading, the entire browser locks up and "stops responding". It always recovers from this, but this is VERY common.

- I try to simply move a (Windows, not Internet) explorer window, and the entire system becomes unresponsive. After a 10 second delay, the window now moves to where I dragged it.

- I click on the start menu, explorer hangs completely for 15 seconds, and then the start menu finally opens.

Anytime this occurs, all interactive / UI events completely stop. For instance, in any Windows program, if you hover over the top menu bar, the background color of "File", "Edit" (...etc...) change as you hover over them. When this unresponsive stuff occurs, ALL of those subtle things completely cease to function. Basically, it's like the entire computer has frozen. Most of the time I can still move my mouse, but sometimes the mouse stops responding to user input as well. This sort of stuff is very frequent, but also sporadic and somewhat unpredictable.

Here's some stuff I've tried:
- updated all my drivers
- installed all Windows updates
- factory reset the computer, and then uninstalled all the garbage that comes along with a stock Sony computer
- ran health / diagnostic tools on the memory and hard drive (both Sony tools that came with the computer). Both came out ok.
- monitored task manager for CPU usage... occasionally will see spikes the CPU usage, but nothing near something that would cause this sort of performance hit (e.g. one of the eight cores spikes to 50% usage, with no obvious processes being responsible for it).
- defragged

I'm strongly confident that this is a hardware issue, but being that this is a laptop, it's very difficult to just swap in other components to test it out. Right from the get-go this computer has had subpar performance. For a long time I thought that it could be a hard drive issue, but a lot of the behavior doesn't seem consistent with that (an active window that's already populated it's directory contents simply being dragged shouldn't require any hard drive activity, right?).

Does this sound symptomatic of any particular component? Any other suggestions?

·
Windows Tech Team, Networking Team |Tech
2,256 Posts
Have tried running in safe mode? and does the computer still act up. If so try running chkdsk /f from the command prompt with elevated premissions (right click cmd.exe, select Run As).

Download Memetest86+ Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool see if any errors are present. Last but least is there still a warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have tried running in safe mode? and does the computer still act up. If so try running chkdsk /f from the command prompt with elevated premissions (right click cmd.exe, select Run As).

Download Memetest86+ Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool see if any errors are present. Last but least is there still a warranty.
Yes, the problem still persists in Safe Mode. I forgot to mention that.

I'll try running those two checkdisk/Memtest tonight and see how it goes, and see if anything pops up.

And finally, yes, the computer is still under warranty. I'm really hesitant to call Sony support, because I feel like I'm going to spend 3 hours on the phone with them trying things I've already done before they'll let me send it in. It may end up being a necessary evil, but I'd like to exhaust all other avenues before I go that route (which is really kind of pathetic when you think about it -- a warranty should be something I cherish, not something I view as a last resort).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Perform Disk Cleanup
Delete Temporary Files
Option 1: Run the computer's virus-checking program
Download Malware bytes from the below link
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download-exe.php
Install the Malware Bytes program
Scan the customer computer using Malware Bytes

Increase the virtual memory

Perform the clean boot

Close all the opened applications before reboot.

disable windows update

Disconnect all the external devices.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I ran chkdisk and it actually seems to have alleviated the problem! Unbelievable. I tried dozens of different diagnostic tests and nothing else seemed to fix it, but since running chkdisk I've been using my computer for about 5 minutes without a single lockup (I'd be lucky to go 30 seconds without experiencing one before).

I don't want to prematurely pop the champagne, so I'm not going to mark this as solved just yet... but so far, so good!

Thanks for the suggestion, I sincerely appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
It seems strange that the factory reset didn't resolve this but the chkdsk /f did.

I think I'd want an answer from Sony on this in case there was something wrong with the Recovery and while it's still under warranty.

If you bought it from a shop, do they not have a walk-in set up with their own instore techs ?

·
Windows Tech Team, Networking Team |Tech
2,256 Posts
If chkdsk /f alleviated some of your issues I would lean more towards a hardware issue. Did you get around to running memtest, if and when you do run it one one stick of RAM at a time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.