Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now then, i am an absolute beginner at networking and this question will be very very basic to most people here. However i would rather ask and be sure rather than throwing away £17 which i have just spent.

Basically i have brought a switch (Zonet 8 port 10.1000MbPs switch){model zfs3008p} and all i want to to for a mate of mine is share his internet connection between 2 computers - with a 3rd joining in a few weeks.

Now i am hoping that i can just plug his broadband cable modem into the switch (using ethernet obviously), then connect the two computers via simple straight through cables. then sharing the net using the OS.

However chills were sent down my spine today -razz: when i saw on the back of the box the diagram showing the Internet ---> cable modem -----> ROUTER -----> ZFS3008P ------> COMPUTERS

now - im hoping this is just them advertising the fact that they supply routers or have i made a mistake?
Basically i need to know if i can do the following : Internet ----> cable modem -----> switch ------> Pc's

btw i have not opened the box yet so as that i can return it of you tell me i need a router aswell/instead....if all else fails ill use a crossover cable and sort him out in a few weeks instead lol.

thx for any help :wink:

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
I recommend you go for the router, forget about ICS! ICS is a PITA and very limited, a router is a much better solution to the problem. You'll also have a 4 port switch on the front-end of the router, so you don't need the switch you have, return it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so youre saying that i will definatly NOT be able to merely plug the modem into the switch and share the internet over 2 computers throught the switch alone? :deveous: damn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.