·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new gamer pc (barebones) with following:

CPU : Intel Pentium D 925 3.0Ghz Dual-Core CPU w/Fan
Motherboard : ASRock CONROE1333-D667 Intel 945GC, PCI-Ex, 2 PCI
Memory : 1GB DDR2 PC5300 667Mhz Memory
Video Card : 224MB Integrated Intel GMA 950 Video (onboard)
Hard Drive : 160GB 7200RPM Ultra Fast Serial ATA300 Hard Drive
DVDRW/CDRW : 18X Samsung Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive w/NERO
Network Card : 1Gbit Fast Ethernet Network Adapter
Sound Card : 7.1 channel HD Sound Adapter
Case : Black Mid Tower 400watt Power Supply Power Supply
Ports : 6 USB 2.0 Ports, Serial

I also have 3 hds as I installed my 2 old ones from my sony vaio desktop so we'd have all our stuff. 530 gig total.

Was so excited to simply install the drivers off cd and plug in my old hard drives and all is well. Except, tried to play games that previously wouldn't run on my old system (Wildlife Zoo) and got the error message

minimum shader requirements cannot be met. (Vertex-and Pixelshader version 1.1) game will close.

I did research into these on the web but found no fix (other than programming stuff) and nothing on the dreamcatchergames site. Please help!

Sheila

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Hi, and welcome to TSF.

Basically, your problem is your video card. Onboard GPU's (video cards) are not designed for gaming - they're meant for surfing the net and typing up documents. To be able to play games properly, you'll need to buy a dedicated graphics card. If you like, we can recommend some approriate models, so you know what to get. Note, however, that you'll need to upgrade your power supply as well, as a 400W unit will not power modern video cards. If you have a budget in mind, let us know that, and we'll find you some units within your price range (as best as possible).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, i've just about figured that out. is geforce the best or ati? i just want to make sure we can play all these games we have (rollercoaster tycoon 3 wild, wildlife zoo, half life 2, etc) and since I'll be installing it myself, be sure I know which card to buy. as for the power supply, i HAD a 295w and now a 400. Just how much do I need?

Thx for all your help!

Sheila

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.