Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently for christmas, I bought some pc parts and had some guy build it for me. Looked fine and worked great. But anytime I use youtube or really anything my internet is exceeding low than what its supposed to be. any time I watch youtube the buffer bar is always freezing and keep in my my internet is perfectly normal for all the rest of my family. I decide to do a ping test on Fios and it says "test failed, no response. 4/4 transmitted, 0/4 received". Also whenever I go to task manager then performance and look at my internet its always going up and down and the send/receive are always super low and 0kbps. Please help will actually donate money to paypal/cashapp if help.

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,583 Posts
How do you connect to the Internet? Wifi, or Ethernet cable? If WiFi, how far is the computer from the Router? Are there any metal file Cabinets or a Refrigerator blocking the connection. Can you move the computer closer to the router?
Unplug the power plug to the Router, wait a few seconds and plug it back in. While waiting for all of the lights to come back on, restart the computer. When all lights are back on, check the Wifi signal by doing a speedtest Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test if you don't get the advertised speed you are paying for contact Verizon support.

· Registered
5,890 Posts
Did the motherboard come with WiFi or are you using a USB adapter? If the motherboard is WiFi-capable does it perhaps have a place to attach a couple of antennas? Are they installed?
Product Audio equipment Font Electronic instrument Rectangle

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you connect to the Internet? Wifi, or Ethernet cable? If WiFi, how far is the computer from the Router? Are there any metal file Cabinets or a Refrigerator blocking the connection. Can you move the computer closer to the router?
Unplug the power plug to the Router, wait a few seconds and plug it back in. While waiting for all of the lights to come back on, restart the computer. When all lights are back on, check the Wifi signal by doing a speedtest Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test if you don't get the advertised speed you are paying for contact Verizon support.
im connected through ethernet and theres nothing like those items you suggested that could be blocking the signal.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the motherboard come with WiFi or are you using a USB adapter? If the motherboard is WiFi-capable does it perhaps have a place to attach a couple of antennas? Are they installed?
View attachment 335225
the motherboard came with a wifi extender which I then plugged into my computer and it didn't end up fixing anything so I stopped using it. Im still kinda new to pcs and stuff so im not really sure if theres multiple places I need to like put a wifi extender and stuff like near the router.

· Registered
5,890 Posts
Bit confused here. You said you were connected via Ethernet then you said you were connected via WiFi?

Win-S, search "control panel" then click Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center. What does it say?

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Beige

While you are there, might as well click "troubleshoot problems."

· Registered
5,890 Posts
This may be more of a graphics or YouTube issue than an internet one.

Do you get the same lag when playing a video on another service?

Change the playback quality and toggle full screen to see if or where the lag occurs.

How about when you use a different browser?

Are you using a VPN? If so, does it lag when you disable it?

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This may be more of a graphics or YouTube issue than an internet one.

Do you get the same lag when playing a video on another service?

Change the playback quality and toggle full screen to see if or where the lag occurs.

How about when you use a different browser?

Are you using a VPN? If so, does it lag when you disable it?
thats weird. Its perfectly normal on this sight that you put like its working fine on 1080p. Whenever I change the browser the same thing happens (youtube issue). I do not use a vpn.

· Registered
5,890 Posts
Here's a list of suggestions. I use CCleaner to clear my browser caches. For me, at least, it's always worked well. I also use Add-Block Plus, which again has worked well for me.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a list of suggestions. I use CCleaner to clear my browser caches. For me, at least, it's always worked well. I also use Add-Block Plus, which again has worked well for me.
I tried all of these suggestions but none of them worked.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

If there are no more ways then could I call someone to my house to see the problem or would that just be a waste of money.

· Registered
5,890 Posts
What does the YouTube Quality Report say? You might also try YouTube's troubleshooting steps but you've probably already done most of them. Personally, I find full-screen content from YouTube to be a bit laggy for me. Netflix doesn't have so much of a problem but even it freezes the video for a bit every one and a while.

Chrome, can be manipulated to better buffer YouTube for high-resolution play too. I haven't tried this but it looks interesting. I wouldn't try the Firefox method though as it looks like it could crash your system.

· Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,524 Posts
Ryan, the first thing you should do is make sure your ethernet network card drivers are up to date. If the ethernet connection is built into your motherboard, go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers and install them. If this is a new build, it's possible the PC was set up with some default drivers from the Windows database and not the latest ones.

If you understand how to run a Ping command, ping your router at its ip address next time you have a disconnection issue.
  • To get your router's IP address, type IPconfig /all at a command prompt and get the IP address for the Default Gateway of your ethernet adapter.
  • Then type ping 192.168.1.1 (or whatever your Default Gateway address is) and press enter. If you have packet loss, you have a connection problem to your router which can be anything from an issue with your ethernet card to a bad network cable, connection, etc. You'll never reach the internet if you can't connect to your router. Try unplugging then reconnecting your network cable.
  • Edit - I forgot to add... If you can successfully ping your router w/no packet loss, then run the ping command to the website you're trying to connect to and see if you get a response then report back.
  • If you get a disconnection, look in Windows Event Viewer> go to Windows Logs then look under System & Application for Network related errors. If your PC is disconnecting from your network, errors will show up here.
The above are proper network troubleshooting steps and not just random suggestions that don't look at the root cause of your problem. Also, please do not download or use CCleaner! It is not a program that should ever be recommended or used by someone who doesn't know exactly what they're doing or what the settings mean. You can cripple your computer with it.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What does the YouTube Quality Report say? You might also try YouTube's troubleshooting steps but you've probably already done most of them. Personally, I find full-screen content from YouTube to be a bit laggy for me. Netflix doesn't have so much of a problem but even it freezes the video for a bit every one and a while.

Chrome, can be manipulated to better buffer YouTube for high-resolution play too. I haven't tried this but it looks interesting. I wouldn't try the Firefox method though as it looks like it could crash your system.

The youtube quality report says unclassified. Im currently trying the other things you gave me but none of them are working.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Also, I just tried to use netflix and the same thing happens where it loads/buffers for like 8 years.

· Registered
5,890 Posts
Open a command prompt (Win-R "cmd") and enter this command:

ping -n 250 youtube.com

This will take a while so you don't have to watch it, you can minimize the command prompt window, just don't close it.

Highlight the summary and then go to the icon at the upper left corner and select Edit > Copy and past it here.

It should look something like this.

Ping statistics for 142.251.32.174:
Packets: Sent = 250, Received = 250, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 25ms, Maximum = 41ms, Average = 26ms

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Open a command prompt (Win-R "cmd") and enter this command:

ping -n 250 youtube.com

This will take a while so you don't have to watch it, you can minimize the command prompt window, just don't close it.

Highlight the summary and then go to the icon at the upper left corner and select Edit > Copy and past it here.

It should look something like this.

Ping statistics for 142.251.32.174:
Minimum = 25ms, Maximum = 41ms, Average = 26ms
Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:4006:816::200e:
Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 9ms

1 - 20 of 34 Posts