Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

On startup I keep getting a verifying DMI pool data, insert boot disk error. I can't get into Windows.

I have tried fixmbr, fixboot, bootcfg /rebuild and have run chkdsk. My ahrd drive is only 1 month old and shows up in BIOS, it is a WD RAptor 250gb SATAII.

Everything had been working fine until I set my old hard drive to slave and reconnected it (it died a couple of months ago, so was checking to see if I could save anything on it). I then restarted and this problem appeared.

The first time this problem happened I got an error along the lines of:

Intel Boot Agent GE
Client MAC addr: 00 16 17 99 C6 C2
GUID FF FFFFF
No Boot filename received.

This is a real annoyance and I highly doubt it's (another) HD failure. Could this possibly be a boot sector virus? Apart from a motherboard issue this is the only thing I can think off. The motherboard by the way is only 5 months old.

Anyway thanks for reading! Hope someone can help.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Howdy Graham04, and Welcome to TSF,

First question would be does your motherboard support SATA2? Are you sure its a Raptor? 10,000 rpm hard drives...

Still look at the back of the hard drive and see if there is a jumper on there that says force SATA 150 mode. If so take the jumper out (a little plastic piece) and put it over the pins it shows to force that mode..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it supports SATA2, everything has been working fine until I got the old hard drive out and set it to slave. My mistake, it's actually a caviar, 7,200RPM. There is no jumper present on this hard drive and never has been.

The error I got first time in full was:
------------------------
Intel (R) Boot Agent GE v1.2.36

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 16 17 99 C6 C2 GUID: FFFFFFFF FFFF FFFF FFFFFFFFFFFF
PXE-E53:No boot filename received

PXE-MOF - Exiting Intel Boot Agent
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
------------------------

I have just tried resetting the BIOS but no luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
k thanks guys, problem solved. When fitting the second hard drive I must have not initially set it to slave.

For some reason it then set my BIOS to boot from other enabled, which is why it was trying to connect to PXE, which is a LAN network. No idea why it changed it in my BIOS though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.