Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
V64 NIGHTMARE:"Required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing", crcdisk.sys hangup...

My computer was running the other day when the surge protector it is connected to tripped. When I reset the surge protector and turned the computer on, it hung for about 15 minutes on the Vista loading screen before restarting.
First I checked to make sure that all of my hardware was still working. I opened the case and there were no bulging or leaky capacitors, so I thought that was a good sign. I then checked BIOS and all of my hardware was still recognized and functional (hard drives whir when accessed, DVD drive opens/closes and tries to read discs).
Next I tried booting into safe mode. The booting process always gets hung up on "crcdisk.sys" and I have to turn the computer off. I tried Googling for various fixes but most of them involved turning off SATA support, which is no good since my DVD drive and hard drives are all use the SATA interface.
After that I got out my Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit installation disc to try to create a partition on another HDD so I could at least recover my data before reformatting. None of my HDDs are recognized when I try to perform a repair operation (I've tried supplying it with about ten different HDD and chipset drivers via USB drive to no avail), and when I try to do a clean install I get the message "Required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing".
I am past the point of frustration :upset:, but I don't have the money to shell out to have a professional fix the problem or recover my data. Any help would be greatly appreciated :pray:.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,753 Posts
Re: V64 NIGHTMARE:"Required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing", crcdisk.sys hangu

Hi, do not do anything else to your system. It may already be too late (reinstall time). It appears the power outage impacted on one of your devices and now you have a corrupt crcdisk.sys file (actually it's a driver) now it controls filters and since your CD drive is effected most likely upper and lower filters.. problem is you introduced no third party programs to cause this (usual cause) so my first advice is to save your data slave your HDD to another computer and back up the data unless you already have a backup regime?

Ok this is new territory however I am confident. Boot with the Vista DVD go past the language setup and startup repair (I would try this just in case) now if it fails (i suspect it will) go on to "Repair your computer" select "command prompt" at the prompt type :-

Code:
devmgmt.msc press enter
Now in device manager go to the main menu and select "view" then "show hidden devices" scroll down to "Non plug and Play Drivers" expand and go to "crcdisk filter driver" right click and select "uninstall" Restart the computer windows will recreate a fresh copy and hopefully all will be well.. Remember this is an original fix (I just came up with it tested and it works)) so do BACK up first even a system restore from the advanced "repair your computer" option is worth a try.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Re: V64 NIGHTMARE:"Required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing", crcdisk.sys hangu

Thank you for the response.
That idea sounds good, but I can't do that yet because none of my hard drives show up when I boot from the Vista installation disk. Even if I wanted to do a clean boot, none of the drives show up -- it says something about needing drivers, but I have no idea what drivers it's asking me for.
If it helps, the computer is an HP m9350f. The hard drives are a WDC WD50000AAKS, ST3750630AS (this is the drive with the Windows partition), and ST3120026AS. I have a feeling that your suggestion would work, but until the hard drive is detected by the boot disk I can't attempt a repair or a clean install.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I did try your suggestion and the command prompt returned that it wasn't recognized as a command or batch file.

·
Decessit
68,881 Posts

hi try using a linux disc ie ubuntu use its live cd mode and see if you can access the drive with it if you can you may be able to transfer you files etc to a usb device

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

I'm working on the LINUX disk right now.
I'm afraid that still won't fix my problem of not being able to see my HDDs, though. Even if I do get my files off, I still won't have a working computer.
I'll let you know if I'm successful in recovering anything.

EDIT: I'm running KNOPPIX right now and I'm encountering the problem that I have no idea how to use LINUX. I kind of think that getting the Vista boot disk to recognize my hard drives should be my top priority because even if I do manage to backup the data I won't have a computer to work from.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,753 Posts

Hi, yes the CMD prompt in "repair your computer" runs in console mode hard to know what it will accept I only used Vista's CMD prompt it's a bit of hit and miss. Regedit.exe will work though it is limited so not a lot of use still I understand why. Now as you got that far you would have noticed system restore DID you try it?

·
Registered
6 Posts

I thought I'd throw my worthless two cents in here just so you have something else to try if nothing else works. Perhaps you could get either a DOS or Windows 98 boot disk and try doing what jenae suggested from there. It seems as though it could just be a problem with the Vista disk not recognizing the HDD's. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.