Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Toshiba Satellite M45 laptop recently would not let me sign into Windows XP.

I now have a blue screen that I have included an image of in an attachment.

I would appreciate any input as to whether my laptop is now "history" and/or is it still possible to retrieve my data from the hard drive?

Thank you in advance!
Don

Attachments

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visitng Expert
4,279 Posts
Hello Don

First try to fix the problem
Start/Run and type in
cmd
OK

At the prompt type
chkdsk /r (there is a space before /)
Enter

Reboot and chkdsk should run

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate your help very much, but I can only get to either this blue screen or get into Dos. When booting up, the computer does get to the windows splash screen, but then reverts immediately back to the blue screen. Consequently, I can't get to the Start/Run option. Is there something else I can do to fix this?

I apologize if I failed to explain the problem in enough detail.

Thank you very much,
Don

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am of course hoping that I will be able to retrieve my data from the hard drive if possible.

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Researching... This seems to be a hardware problem
Have you already looked at This?
Have you done anything recently that would change the hardware setup?
If you can get to DOS type in chkdsk like Dunedin said.
Try rebooting and see what happens...
If that dosnt work,you can get a 3.5" IDE/2.5" IDE/SATA to USB connectors like This.
You may be able to recover your data then and there.

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visitng Expert
4,279 Posts
You can also run the command from the Recovery Console on the XP installation CD. If you do not have this CD you can borrow one just to run the fix.

Configure your PC to boot from CD if it isn't already set up that way. You may need to enter the BIOS to configure the PC to boot from the CD.
Set the boot order to
Floppy (if present)
CDROM
Hard Disk
SAVE and EXIT

Start your PC with the XP Setup CD in the drive. When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD..." prompt, do so and let the CD-based boot process begin.

When the Recovery Console option is offered ("Press R to start the Recovery Console"), do so. You may be asked which Windows installation to enter, in which case type the number of the Windows installation you wish to work on (usually "1").

When prompted, enter the Administrator's password for that Windows installation. If you did not set a password just press ENTER

At the command prompt, type
chkdsk /r (there is a space before /)
Enter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.