i have a 64MB GeForce2 card, with an s-video and yellow video jack
i want to use the TV-out feature i know it has
what cable do i need to do this?

Help Needed Thank You

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Hello DJ,

Depending on your TV's capabilities, you will need either an S-Video cable, which will work with a TV which has an s-video jack, or if what you were referring to as the yellow jack looks like an RCA type connector (as would be found on the back panel of a stereo), then you can buy a composite cable. If your TV is compatible with S-Video, I would very much reccommend that over the composite connection, as you will get much better quality out of it.

Unfortunately, you may be disappointed with the quality video out provides. I recently tried to connect my Radeon 8500LE 128MB card to a Sony Trinitron TV which is S-Video compatible, and that yielded horrible quality (only 1024x768 resolution and a very fuzzy picture). This TV was not made for video out, and is a few years old, so you may have better luck than I did.

In any case, good luck getting it to work and make sure you download a new video player (like DiVx) if you're planning on using this for video playback since I think Windows Media Player has some kind of copyright protection feature which keeps any kind of video (regardless of the source) from displaying on TV out. At least that was my experience.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
whoops, guess I didn't write that fast enough

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still seem to be having a problem, maybe it is with connecting the card straight to a VCR. Is that a problem?
My TV does not have s-Video
So I would just run an RCA cable straight from the back of the computer to the TV? Can I record sound in any way?

Thanks for help so far

DJ

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
hey Fox, I guess it dont matter that much...I think if you look at the answers, yours gives more detail mine is very basic...Important thing is we gave an answer, right ? :D :winkgrin:

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
If you plan to record the video, then you will probably want to connect the composite directly to your VCR. As far as recording audio, there is a way: You will need to pay a visit to your local Radio Shack and ask them for a 1/8'' male plug to RCA cord. This will allow you to plug the cord into the sound card and the other end to the "audio in" of your VCR.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
hey Fox, I guess it dont matter that much...I think if you look at the answers, yours gives more detail mine is very basic...Important thing is we gave an answer, right ?
I guess so :)

I really get into this, so my posts are really detailed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I performed a test record and it didn't work.
THe yellow RCA cbale goes from the back of the computer to the VCR's A/V-in slot.
The VCR is plugged in.
What channel does the VCR need to be tuned to?
I go to my display settings -> advanced -> device selection and a TV option is not available, should it be?

Still Needing Help, DJ

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
My actual problem??
I am trying to record my monitor playing a .mov movie using QuickTime onto a video so I can use it in a school presentation.

The video plug doesn't fit snug inside the jack in the computer.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
are you using a generic driver or do you have the one specially made for your video card?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
did you get those drivers from a CD/floppy that came with the card or did you download them.... If the drivers you have support TV as a device, the option under setting for TV should be available...re-check your drivers and if you want to, check NVIDIA for drivers for your card

[edit]....Im assuming you have a TV in the setup somewhere ? is your VCR hooked up to the TV via RCA plugs or coax cable ? Does your TV have RCA in/out ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
there is no TV in the equation as it is too heavy to move, do i need it for the tv-out feature to work? i thought i could hook the card straight to the VCR.

EDIT my computer came with the card and driver installed.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
no, you should not need TV, I was just wondering if you can do this type of setup :

hook VCR to TV via cable
hook PC to TV via RCA
set VCR to AUX and then set TV to AUX too and see if that will work....

hmm..ok my head hurts from visualising...Im at work right now so I have to do it in my head....hehehe....

...again, TV option as a device being disabled does seem fishy if you have that option available with your card...my hunch is the drivers. Is this your first time using this option or did it work before and then you ran into this problem ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is my first time using the function

I will try now the TV - VCR - PC setup you suggested

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
to add to what merlin said, check your manuals to see if they explain how to enable TV out. If you follow the directions and there is something in the manual that you can't get to on your computer, then it probably is the driver.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
here's a screenshot of my device selection screen, you're telling me that the TV option should be accessable?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.