Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is using these types of removal programs pretty safe?

There is a lot of Hijacking going on out there.

It's amazing the amount of garbage I get, from pop ups to junk mail.

Any good antispam programs recommended out there? I tried one but started losing mail I wanted and friends emails weren't always getting through.

Looking forward to the day when one can use email without junk and surf without worms, hijacks, and popups, etc!!

Thanks!!

Kirch

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I've used SpyBot 1.2 and AdAware 6 for some time on a variety of systems with no ill effects. They're a lot safer than leaving the spyware on the machine! :D

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Kirch,

The whole anti-spam thing is so far up in the air that it is in low earth orbit.

I just read some PC mag reviews this AM; they liked Norton the best, it seemed, for personal use.

I use Mailwasher (the free edition that is no longer available), and I plan to upgrade to Pro. I'm happy with it, but that doesm't mean you will be.

It's a very difficult question because there aren't many "standards", there are many different approaches, and nobody seems to have all the answers in one package.

:upset:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, Thanks John and Vern!

I have SpyBot and Adaware 6.. I agree, at least clean the junk out of your box often... I clean house about every week or two.

It say's you can't use Yahoo mail with Spampal but I actually use Netscape 7.1, but the mail is yahoo.pacbell.mail... can I run that?

Otherwise, I'll go searching for an anti spam program.

Kirch

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If you use Yahoo for mail, you might want to look into YahooPops!, it's a neat little tool that turns the web based Yahoo mail into a POP3 account. :) I use it, and it's very handy.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
i would say that both ad-aware and spybot S&D are both wonderful programs.

i use them all the time, on many machines, and have never had any problems.

except, if you run kazaa, they will make kazaa non-functional

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
exactly my point, kazaa is a problem to begin with, although, i am running it myself, but i have the old version, and after spybotting it, it works fine still...

but spybot and ad-aware will kill the new kazaa.

thankfully that is, because spyware is exactly what it is...

~BoB~

·
Registered
1 Posts
kirch said:
Looking forward to the day ... and surf without worms, hijacks, and popups, etc!!
Already out, it's called. NON-MICROSOFT products. Such as, you know... Any Unix based system. This includes the Mac(OS 10 +), Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD... You know, stuff you don't have to pay for. All of these are not as common, So people don't bother making viruses/worms/hijacks for them. Aswell, They've got some pretty tight security. Even if there was a virus, it couldn't really do much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.