Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed a new motherboard and 200gb Seagate ATA drive
I want to use my old Maxtor 160GB SATA drive as a data store, especially as all my music and files are already on the drive

The SATA drive has four partitions including a dos partition containing XP

I have installed the drive but it does not appear in the system what have i done wrong?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ alan brooks
Had to respond to the thread entitled 'old' SATA HDD...boy things sure get obselete fast :smile: :wink:

What connector do you have this 'old' drive attached to? Can you see the HDD in the BIOS? If it is connected to the Promise controller, you will have to enable the controller in BIOS and most likely install some drivers when you reboot. Do you have any yellow circles with exclamation points in your device manager? It may be the Promise controller with your HDD looking for drivers.

Keep us posted with your progress.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SATA problem

By old I meant an existing drive not a new one

I cant see it in the bios, but it is reconised by maxblast, which wants to format it first, deleting all my files
It is connected by a standard SATA lead to the SATA1 connector on the board

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ alan brooks
You should be able to see the drive in your 'Main' BIOS window, so I would check to make sure both the power and data connectors on both ends of the cables are securely and completely attached...they can be finicky. Booting into BIOS you should see both the Maxtor and Seagate HDDs.

If you are connecting them both to the Intel SATA connectors, you will not need to enable the Promise(Silicon Image) controller in BIOS as you are not using its connectors. They may be labelled SATA_RAID1 and SATA_RAID2.

When your system finds your Maxtor, it may try to boot from it, you will have to fool with the 'removeable drives' settings in your BIOS to get it to boot from the Seagate first. Organize in 'removeable drives' , save, redo 'boot priority' order properly, save again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sata serious problem

Put drive in machine with old board and new drive

Managed to recognise both and started copying the files over, then disaster

blue screen and the machine re booted to the OS on the new drive

Sata drive seems dead but power connector ok

can anyone help?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status