Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have this problem. Whenever I'm connected to the internet, and use my Combo drive to watch a DVD or listen to a CD, my dial-up connection disconnects. It's very frustrating.

here's my relevant details:

AOPEN Combo drive (AOPEN COM5232/AAH PRO)
SmartUSB 56k Modem (says TRENDnet TFM-560U on it)
Windows XP Pro w/SP2

I've updated the firmware on my combo drive, no effect. And I can't seem to find any drivers for the USB modem anywhere online.

Please help this is very frustrating!

-starkat

EDIT: Found some drivers, but they are the same revision as what came on CD, and I installed those, but the problem persists.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
psu is a 450w antec. there are no hardware conflicts.

I don't use IE (spyware conflicts reduced by half, by default), using FireFox with adblock, AVG free edition, AdAware SE, ZoneAlarm Pro, and occasionally use SpyBot S&D. The computer is my media server - it's used mainly for serving video to my hdtv, and audio out to my audio system. The only web use includes ebay, google news, checking yahoo/hotmail, and trillian. Most other websites are blocked, since this is a media server with almost 2TB of music/video on an SATA raid, I take security and file integrity very seriously.

AVG, AdAware, and SpyBot are all updated practically every day. I don't think this is a software issue, as the problem exists across 2 different installations of windows. There's nothing out of the ordinary in my system's event logs. I've used three different modems (one the USB modem, an internal hardware modem, and an external serial modem), and the problem occurs on the USB modem and the internal PCI modem; does not occur on the serial modem. (But I don't wanna use that, since it's a 28.8).

Re-flashing the combo drive's firmware resolves the issue (for the most part), with the PCI modem, but the USB modem is still useless.

Thanks for replying.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.