Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use an XPS 710 at work since gaming PC's work really well for CAD/graphics.

I've been babying my previous Dell PWS650 to work at home, but it's getting long in the tooth.

I like the look of the XPS 700 series case and they are readily available on ebay. I was looking into building a custom rig (gaming specific) and would like to use the XPS platform.

Does anyone know if I can use aftermarket components like motherboards and PSU's in a DELL or do these cases only take DELL-made/branded motherboards and such.

The 650 that I've got uses a proprietary PSU that is part of the case, so I can't upgrade to a more powerful unit.

Has anyone build a custom rig with this case? and if so, what MB did you end up using?

·
Team Manager, Gaming
7,320 Posts
hello,
building a gaming PC is a lot of fun indeed :grin:
but I suggest that you get your own case, cause all the PSUs that comes in the prebuilt PCs are weak, so yes you need to upgrade to a lot better PSU than the one that cam with the DELL case

that is a great Case :

Antec 900 :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

·
Retired Mod.
4,479 Posts

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Dell cases are not good for cooling.
The Antec 300 and 900 are good cases....same case inside but the 900 has a window and costs $45 more. The COOLER MASTER RC-690 is an excellent case. Lots of room to work and good cooling.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
"Most" of my customers prefer as clean and quiet as possible. Front fans pull in dust and create more noise. Two front fans = dust and noise X 2.
Having the same interior as the 900, I prefer to build with the 300's (remove the front fan) for less maintenance and less noise.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
12,841 Posts
I prefer loud and cool.

I can have a overclocked GTX 260 running quiet, it would break. When I looked for a case it needs to have front fans for cooling.

Customers should be utting up with noise unless they want to go with the liquid cooling route.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.