Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
When I get my GTX 260, how would I go about using the 260 as my main GPU, but using my 9600 GT as a PhysX dedicated card?
Damn dude. I thought you want to run some SLi mode.
Anyway it is really simple.
1. Turn off your computer and PSU
2. Install your 9600 GT on the 2nd PCie slot
3. Turn on your computer and uninstall your current driver.
i. Go to My Computer's properties
ii. Device Manager
iii. Expand the Display Adapter
iv. Right click on your card and click Uninstall; also, tick the option "Delete the blah blah" and click OK.
v. Once done, if asked to restart, DO NOT RESTART yet. so hit NO/Cancel
vi. Go to Control Panel and uninstall NVIDIA PhysX driver
Vii. Go back to My Computer C:\NVIDIA\(here you have two folders which are your chipset driver folder and your display driver folder.)
viii. Go to your display driver folder. Inside your display driver folder there is another folder, delete that.
ix. Empty Recycle bin
x. Download DriverSweeper: http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(no-installer)_d1672.html and your new display driver http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
4. . Restart your computer and boot to Safe Mode
5. Once in Safe Mode, open DriverSweeper and tick NVIDIA Display and click analyse/scan. Once finish scanning, Click Clean for several times. try to rescan it and clean it again.
6. Restart your computer. Once you get back to your desktop, install the new driver. And restart after driver finish installing.

It sounds hard but it is really easy. This is what you should do when installing a new driver. You don't have to go to Device manager you can uninstall it on Control Panel too if you prefer. I prefer Device Manager because it works like a charm to me;)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn dude. I thought you want to run some SLi mode.
Anyway it is really simple.
1. Turn off your computer and PSU
2. Install your 9600 GT on the 2nd PCie slot
3. Turn on your computer and uninstall your current driver.
i. Go to My Computer's properties
ii. Device Manager
iii. Expand the Display Adapter
iv. Right click on your card and click Uninstall; also, tick the option "Delete the blah blah" and click OK.
v. Once done, if asked to restart, DO NOT RESTART yet. so hit NO/Cancel
vi. Go to Control Panel and uninstall NVIDIA PhysX driver
Vii. Go back to My Computer C:\NVIDIA\(here you have two folders which are your chipset driver folder and your display driver folder.)
viii. Go to your display driver folder. Inside your display driver folder there is another folder, delete that.
ix. Empty Recycle bin
x. Download DriverSweeper: http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(no-installer)_d1672.html and your new display driver http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
4. . Restart your computer and boot to Safe Mode
5. Once in Safe Mode, open DriverSweeper and tick NVIDIA Display and click analyse/scan. Once finish scanning, Click Clean for several times. try to rescan it and clean it again.
6. Restart your computer. Once you get back to your desktop, install the new driver. And restart after driver finish installing.

It sounds hard but it is really easy. This is what you should do when installing a new driver. You don't have to go to Device manager you can uninstall it on Control Panel too if you prefer. I prefer Device Manager because it works like a charm to me;)
I'll still run SLI when I can afford it, but that might be a while yet.

OK so basically this is telling me to uninstall all my drivers and ANYTHING to do with the 9600 GT. When you say "install the new driver", is there a special driver to turn my card into a PhysX dedicated card?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'll still run SLI when I can afford it, but that might be a while yet.

OK so basically this is telling me to uninstall all my drivers and ANYTHING to do with the 9600 GT. When you say "install the new driver", is there a special driver to turn my card into a PhysX dedicated card?
When I said "install the new driver," I meant the whatever the latest nvidia driver you have downloaded.
Once you finished the above instruction about uninstalling/installing drivers, right click on your desktop and click Nvidia Control Panel. Click Advance. On the left side panel, you will see "3D Settings" expand it. There are 3 options which are "Adjust image settings with preview," Manage 3D settings," and "Set SLI and PhysX configuration"
Click the Set SLI and PhysX configuration. Under Set PhysX GPU acceleration, you can choose which card you want to work on PhysX it is either your 260 or 9600.
Also, you can disable or enable SLI here too.

Yes, even though you have the latest display driver, you still have to uninstall the display driver when you are adding a new card. The reason is driver conflict and instead of increasing the performance it will drop and sometimes BSoD.

Extra info:
Nvidia drivers comes with PhysX already so there is nothing to worry about it. However, you can install the PhysX separately by downloading the PhysX driver.
To do so, when you got the latest nvidia driver, extract it and install [just the display driver and nvidia control panel. After that download the latest PhysX driver and install it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.