Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a WinXP home computer with two Log Ins. The users of this unit have been switching users for a long time. Now, when I attempt to log off, a small window appears telling me I need to delete files from the user profile because the profile exceeds the space allotted. Files in the profile read something like 1,557,220 and the space allotted is around 50,000 mb.

Of course, there is no way to delete files from the small window with containing the message. However, there is a list of many, many files belonging to both users.

I couldn't find anything helpful in the MS Knowledge Base. How can I bring the profile back into an acceptable size? I can't even log off windows.

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Diana

·
Part Time Repair Tech
1,267 Posts
Sound like a disc quota issue.
Log on as administrator.
Open My Computer, select the partition on which you want to set a disc quota.
Right click it and select properties.
Click the quota tab.
I suspect that the box "Deny disc space to users exceeding quota limit" has been checked. Uncheck it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blade Jones, I thought you were right on the money. But.... Disk quotas were disabled and, of course, there was no limit set.

This user has added lots of photos into folders inside her profile. I'm thinking just moving the images to a folder off C: would free up profile space. Would this help?

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
To change the value of this entry, use Group Policy. This entry corresponds to the Custom Message box in the Limit profile size policy (User Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon/Logoff).
Note:

This entry is used only when the Limit profile size policy is enabled, that is, when the value of EnableProfileQuota is 1, and when the policy is configured to warn users as soon as their profile exceeds the maximum size, that is, when the value of WarnUser is 1.

To suppress this notification message, clear the Notify user when profile storage space is exceeded check box to set the value of WarnUser to 0. If you delete the ProfileQuotaMessage entry from the registry, the system displays the default message. If you delete the default text from the Custom Message box, or delete the value of ProfileQuotaMessage, the system displays an empty message box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.