Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of cleaning up my parents computer. They use XP Home, and have three different user profiles. Normally after start up, it would display a welcome screen in which you select a profile to log in to. Recently it had gotten really slow, so my dad asked me to save all his documents and favorites, delete his profile, and start him a new one. I did just that, and everything worked great.

This morning when he turned it on, it asks for him to log in. There is no password, so I just enter his name and log in. It has never done this before. I went into user accounts and unchecked 'user must enter name and password to use computer.' Nothing changed. I can still log into the other profiles by typing the name and no password, but I don't want to have to do that. I want it to be like it was before, like it always has been with the classic blue welcome screen. (not my image)

Can you guys help me out? I've tried everything I can think of and it still isn't right. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Go back into control panel the user accounts click on change the way users log on or off now make sure use the Welcome screen has a check mark in it now finally select save changes then exit.

Log off and now you should see the welcome screen again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, but when I do that, it tells me I have to log out of the profile I am on and then I can log into another account. It is acting like a public computer like at a library, in my experience. It asks for me to put in a name and password any time I want to switch users, or log in. It also puts up a box when I log in/out telling me what it's doing, etc instead of using the blue xp screen like it always has (like this). I don't see any reason that it should have made this change.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
O.K. I agree this seems weird although somewhere in the back of my mind I think there is something simple we have failed to check.

Lets try this remove the check mark from use the welcome screen and then log off
"make sure you are working with a account with admin rights"

now log back in and add the check mark again to use the welcome screen and now reboot the PC.

See what that does.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Try logging in to the administrator account rather than one with just admin rights and backup any data you need from your profile like pics movies or music etc. etc.

Now remove the account and delete all files associated with the account when prompted, create a new limited user account I recall a similar incident where the above was performed and although intentionally the normal welcome screen was back.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So you're saying delete the new account I just created (that seemed to cause the problem) and make a new one? I will try that I guess. I still have the files backed up from the first time so this shouldn't take too long.

Is there a way to log into the admin account without being in safe mode? I tried to change the settings mentioned before in safe mode and it just automatically logged into the admin account.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.