Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing battle with a new Dell. When I first started the machine, it went thru a set-up mode. During this time I set up user accounts for myself and family. Now I find no way to edit them. I was asked to select 1.accept all cookies, 2.prompt to select all cookies and 3.deny all cookies. I went for door no#2. Now every time I go on-line I must answer a pop-up about receiving cookies. Internet options in control panal will not dissable this mistake. Also tried advanced cookie handling with no luck. In addition none of my user accounts other than mine will allow internet access. I was quizzed on each user regarding age, access restriction etc. All user were given access to the internet but no one can get on other than me. I need to get back to the set-up options from when I started my computer for the first time. How do you do this? On my old HP I never bothered with user accounts. This worked much better!
P.S. Dell support has not been able to help.:upset: :upset:

·
Registered
12 Posts
ok... quite honestly, I'm speaking off my head, but did you check out the user handling interface in the administrative tolls? it's more complete that the easy GUI one.

As for the set up dealy, on my hp laptop the only way to get back there is reinstalling the back up disks... and therefore format your disks...

Hope what little info I gave can help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are a bunch of ways to adjust user accounts, the first and easiest is from control panel, open up the "Users" icon and add two new profiles, should be the same setup as last time, then once you've got those done, delete the old ones (you will have to be in one of the new profiles to delete the old ones). If this doesn't agree, startup windows in safe mode (safe mode is accessed by pressing F8 on the keyboard when the initial windows splash screen shows up), the Admistrator profile on there has access to EVERYTHING, you should be able to manage user accounts from here if nowhere else.

Tell me how that does it for you

·
Registered
4 Posts
I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but cookies are handled (I assume you are using IE) via Internet Explorer. CLick on Internet options, privacy, advanced. You should then have to have the appropriate access to change the access.

You can access the user account management section of XP by typing MMC into run and then loading the default security snap in for local users and groups or opening the computer management security file usually stored under C:\windows\system32.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.