Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for some reason I can't log on at all as a guest user (guest account is turned on ) and when I create another account with administrator rights I am given a message saying I can only have basic default access.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
WinXP Home has only 3 types of user accounts Admin., Limited, and Guest. You can't assign Administrative privileges as you can in XP Pro. Your Guest Account should be off by default. When you boot into "Safe Mode", an administrative account that does not require a password is available ( and is displayed).

1. Admin. Account can create and delete user accounts on your computer.
2. Limited Account is best preferred by MS for the general computer user.
3. Guest Account is used for someone who has no user account/password on the computer.

If you want to assign another user with Administrative privileges you'll have to upgrade to XP Pro.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
quizme1220 said:
WinXP Home has only 3 types of user accounts Admin., Limited, and Guest. You can't assign Administrative privileges as you can in XP Pro. Your Guest Account should be off by default. When you boot into "Safe Mode", an administrative account that does not require a password is available ( and is displayed).

1. Admin. Account can create and delete user accounts on your computer.
2. Limited Account is best preferred by MS for the general computer user.
3. Guest Account is used for someone who has no user account/password on the computer.

If you want to assign another user with Administrative privileges you'll have to upgrade to XP Pro.

You can have several accounts with administrative access in Home. By default, there is the hidden account named Administrator (password is set during install), a second account that is a computer administrator (named during install). Each account you create thereafter (through Control Panel - User Accounts) can be set as either Limited or Computer Administrator.

You may have a situation where someone has applied some 3rd party security which limits even admin level accounts. Does someone else have access to this pc?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Chevy

I did have 2 user accounts with admin rights before but deleted one ages ago.
using the 1 account I now have I can switch on or off the guest account but when I try to log on as a guest I can not gain access to anything,
If I create an account with admin rights, when I try to use that, I get the message that I can only have basic access.( I also get a countdown of 20 seconds to decide if to accept ) No-one else has access to this computer so I don't know whats going on. P.S. I also have S.P.2 loaded.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
betty4651 said:
I did have 2 user accounts with admin rights before but deleted one ages ago.
using the 1 account I now have I can switch on or off the guest account but when I try to log on as a guest I can not gain access to anything,
If I create an account with admin rights, when I try to use that, I get the message that I can only have basic access.( I also get a countdown of 20 seconds to decide if to accept ) No-one else has access to this computer so I don't know whats going on. P.S. I also have S.P.2 loaded.
Ok .. seems like your Guest account is functioning normally.

So, log on as User - an account that is a Computer Administrator - and create a new account, selecting Computer Administrator as the account type.

But, when you log on with that new account, you get a dialog box? Can you get a screen shot of it? (press ALT-Print Screen, paste it into MS Paint, save as a jpg, and upload here).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.