Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I need some help with setting up accounts and permissions for these accounts on Win Xp Pro.

What I want to do is:

1. Setup 1 Limited User Account and 1 Admin account.

2. I want the Admin account to have full blown access and permission to everything on the computer.

3. I want to the User Account to only have access to one website on the internet and run only one program that is installed on the machine, and nothing else. i.e. The User Account should NOT be able to install programs, visit other internet sites, Change settings etc.

This computer is not connected to a domain (and I don't want to connect it to a domain).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
81 Posts
The first account you make is an Admin by default. Make another (limited) account from the control panel. The limited account will not be able to install software. I know that the limited account can only access shared files, but I think they also have access to all programs. You need an internet security program with parental controls to specify internet websites to allow.

I do not know if you are able to block programs or not. You might be able to right click on "program files", click "sharing and security" and check a box to make it private. Any shared program can be put in a public folder.

Also you might want to think about Mac OS X Leopard. It has parental controls, but I don't know whether or not you can block programs with that, either.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Here's what you do.

First, make a new account that you want to be the limited account, but for now leave it as admin so you can make changes.

Then from the account you want to restrict go into internet explorer's internet options and set things up how you want. I would recommend that you set it where files cannot be downloaded. Then go to the Content tab and set up content advisor so that only the one page you want to have viewed can be accessible. There should be a whitelist in there. Then set the homepage to be the one webpage you want access to.

Then open up regedit.exe and find:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions
Add a new DWord value and call it:
NoBrowserOptions

Give it a value of 1. This will prevent the user from going to Tools > Internet Options in IE. When they do this they will get a "Restriced By Administrator" message.

Now, for extra security follow these instructions on how to force IE into Kiosk Mode. Make a new desktop shortcut for IE. If the webpage you want to launch is online and not on the local PC you could try entering the web address instead of a link to a html page or you could make a html page that links to or redirects to the page you want to go to, or you could try leaving the location parameter blank which may open the homepage, try it and see if it works.

Next, follow this info to restrict users from running certain programs you don't want them to run.

Let me know if this setup will be secure enough for you, otherwise more can be done to make it more secure, such as disabling run and control panel for only that one account. Also don't forget to turn the admin account back to a limited account when done.

BMR777

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.