Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently upgraded from XP Home to XP Pro and lost all my email and Outlook Contacts.
I went into the User Accounts hoping that I could find the files there and when I tried to Add a New User Account (same as old OS system) I get the message that User Name is already in use. I can't see the user in the list anywhere. Is it in a hidden file somewhere and if so how do I get to it?

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Right click the Start Button and choose Explore. In the Windows Explorer, browse to C:\Documents and Settings. The user profile you are logged into will be expanded. See if your old user profile is above or below that. Copy your Desktop, Favorites, My Documents and the .pst file (Email) to your new profile.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Spike:
Thanks for the response. Found the old User file and was able to do all the steps other than the .pst file. Don't see it staring out at me anywhere. Where would I look for that in the mess of files under the old User Name?

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
You can do a search for *.pst file. To find it manually in the default folder, first Right click the Start button/Explore in the Windows Explorer, go to Tools/Folder Options/View and make sure Show Hidden Files and Folders is checked. Now under your old profile name under Documents and Settings Browse to Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. Copy the Outlook folder to the new profile overwriting the existing folder.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I have now found the file (outlook.pst) along with many others in that folder.
1) I am copying to the same folder in the new profile, correct?
2) Will that overwrite all the new emails I have since I updated the system?
3) If answer to #2 is yes how do I save the new emails as I can't afford to lose them either?

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Rename the current outlook.pst file to something else, like outlook1.pst. Copy the other .pst file into the folder. The .ost file should have your current Email in your In Box and not have to be changed. In Outlook XP go to Tools/Options/Mail Format/Data File and add the .pst files.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Spike:
Thanks for all of your assistance and advise! I have now recovered all and up and running again. This site has been invaluable to me. Glad I found it by accident.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.