Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All my problem is this I have a Dell laptop and when at home and I put the usb thumb drive in to it I can read it ok, but when I take the laptop away with me to another location the laptop cannot read the it (the thumb drive)
The laptop is not connected to the internet at either location
I have tried it on different Laptops same result there dosen't seem any logical reason for this as other usb drives work ok
Many thanks for any help that can be given.

·
Registered
41,122 Posts
When you eject the USB flash drive do you click the Safely Remove Icon before pulling it out? If you don't, it will have a hard time connecting next time you put it in.
If the USB Flash Drive is not recognized when you put it in, go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager are there any devices with a Yellow Flag or under Universal Serial Bus Controllers is there an Unknown Device? If so, right click it and Uninstall it, then remove the Flash Drive and restart your computer. Put the Flash drive into a different USB port. If you don't want to restart, put the USB into a different USB port and in the Device Manager, Right click Any device and choose Scan For Hardware Changes. You should get New Hardware Found.

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,497 Posts
That must be some high-tech, Bond 007-style thumb drive you have there! From what you describe, I can only imagine of geo-locking, perhaps through gps, of the drive so that it can only be accessed at a specific location. I've never come across such a thumb drive, but it's not that hard to imagine it since geo-locking is already a consumer technology on smartphones, cars etc. Telling us the make and model of the drive would be a start.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank for the reply its sure got me confused it works perfectly at home but useless anywhere else

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry spunk funk for the late reply
the usb is not removed until safe to remove shows and in my computer it in recognised ok but just will not open
Many Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Stancestans
I purchased the usb and I have 2 more with the same problem they are SanDisk Cruzer Facet 8GB I have even formatted the other 2 and tried again same problem
The laptop is a Dell Vostro 1516
Many Thanks

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,497 Posts
Hi Stancestans
I purchased the usb and I have 2 more with the same problem they are SanDisk Cruzer Facet 8GB I have even formatted the other 2 and tried again same problem
The laptop is a Dell Vostro 1516
Many Thanks
In your original post you said other usb devices work just fine, but now you say you have three thumb drives of the exact same model and all have this problem. You also said the drive only works while at home, but doesn't when you change locations and laptops. I'm having trouble understanding your problem. Does it mean you've tried other laptops at home and the drives work, but they don't when you change locations, on other laptops as well? Have you really tried them on other laptops both at home and away?

Could you kindly clarify exactly what happens? While at home, do you use a different computer on which the thumb drives work just fine, except on your laptop, which you use while away from home? From my understanding, the drives work on all computers at home and do not work on all computers away from home! Is that right? Help me understand.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry Stancstans for not replying sooner had a short holiday in hospital
I can all usb connected devices to all the ports on the laptop at home or away aug try and use this usb while away it will not work I have tried it on different laptops both home and away same result
I am now convinced that it is the program that I have on it as I said I found 2 old usb drives that I had with the same program on in the draw so I tried them and they wouldn't work so I formatted them on the laptop and then tried them again by downloading some photos onto them and they worked ok.
I formatted them again and downloaded the program onto them and tried to use them no luck so I am now sure it is the program
They are DBF files so I am having the program re written to bring it up to date
Sorry for all the confusion

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
5,147 Posts
Sounds like the issue is NOT the drive, but more what you're trying to do with it. If I'm reading it all correctly you can copy images to the usb drive, take it to another computer and it works fine. You then "reformat" the drive, put a program on it, and it fails to work on any computer but the original computer it was created on. You can then reformat the drive yet again, put images on it, and it works fine. Is that the basics of it? What "program" are you trying to use with/on those drives?

If the program is "installed" on the drives, then likely there's also files located in the C:\windows or c:\program files directory(s) that are not present on the other computers you're trying to us it on. Just a thought based on what I'm reading in this thread.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi djaburg
Many thanks for your reply sorry I took so long but we have been away for a few days
After a lot of trial and error and no results I finally turned to this forum for help and as a result I think you are spot on.
I have been blaming the usb sticks as the problem and with the help of the previous answers I started looking elsewhere and now you have put me onto the program
It is a program which I use for my work and was written quite a few years ago and they are DBF format files (as a result of this I am having the program rewritten to bring it up to date ) hoping this will overcome the problem
I just don't know why it will work on the laptop at home but when I go away it will not work on the same laptop
I will checkout your recommendations and see how I go other than that I will just use it at home and wait till it is rewritten
Many Thanks dangles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.