Tech Support banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title says, my USB just fell in water. What is the best I can do? It wasnt connected or anything, it fell from the desk.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team
2,464 Posts
Shake it out real good then use a hair dryer on low setting and run it for 5 minutes. Then get a zip lock bag, throw a 1/2 to a cup of rice in it and toss in the USB drive. Make sure it's completely covered by the rice. Let it stay in the bag for at least 24 hours. Then check it for functionality.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shake it out real good then use a hair dryer on low setting and run it for 5 minutes. Then get a zip lock bag, throw a 1/2 to a cup of rice in it and toss in the USB drive. Make sure it's completely covered by the rice. Let it stay in the bag for at least 24 hours. Then check it for functionality.
Thanks, everything done. Got it in the bag now until tomorrow.

·
Registered
BSOD Analyst Student at Sysnative com
298 Posts
Best advice!

:sayyes:

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,823 Posts
Be sure to use Raw rice. Just like you don't throw cooked rice at a wedding (unless you don't like the couple :grin:).

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Not that the rice will harm anything, but I have not found it to be particularly useful, either.

If you are living somewhere where the interior of your car is getting warm to hot these days, I'd be far more inclined to put it in the car for a day or two (and not in direct sun).

If it's already in a bag of rice, leave it there, but put it in the car. I'd also open the zip a tiny bit if it's in a ziplok bag and position the bag so you won't have a rice spill.

I've had to dry out things far more complex than a USB thumb drive (think Palm Pilot, back in the day) and there is nothing like the heat of a hot car to both speed up the process as well as make sure it's thorough. You just don't want it to bake in direct sunlight (though, in the case of a thumb drive, unless you live in Arizona or similar climate it probably wouldn't matter).

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not that the rice will harm anything, but I have not found it to be particularly useful, either.

If you are living somewhere where the interior of your car is getting warm to hot these days, I'd be far more inclined to put it in the car for a day or two (and not in direct sun).

If it's already in a bag of rice, leave it there, but put it in the car. I'd also open the zip a tiny bit if it's in a ziplok bag and position the bag so you won't have a rice spill.

I've had to dry out things far more complex than a USB thumb drive (think Palm Pilot, back in the day) and there is nothing like the heat of a hot car to both speed up the process as well as make sure it's thorough. You just don't want it to bake in direct sunlight (though, in the case of a thumb drive, unless you live in Arizona or similar climate it probably wouldn't matter).
Hey, thank you very much for the suggestion :)

·
Registered
BSOD Analyst Student at Sysnative com
298 Posts

I did some further research and you are spot on here. Thanks for that.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
I did some further research and you are spot on here. Thanks for that.
When you have spent 6 years in a brain injury services program, working with electronic devices as memory prosthetics, and with a population of relatively young people who are less than careful, you deal with a lot of items ending up being in the water, regardless of what that water source is.

I learned long ago that clean water generally has almost no negative effect on many electronics provided one does not attempt to power them back up again until they're bone dry again.

In the summertime, the best rapid dryer I ever found was the interior of automobiles. In the wintertime, depending on the exact type of heat, placement on or near a radiator or register where the best supply of steady heat could be found was best. Another option, which requires extreme vigilance, is inside an oven with just the oven light left on. That tends to produce a temperature right around 100 degrees F or so if the door is not opened, and this is another ideal rapid drying venue. The problem being you have to always check your oven before you ever think of turning it on if it's being used in this way. That was easy for me, as I keep several pots and pans stored in my oven, so it's my habit to never even turn on the oven without looking inside first.

Just make sure the device is dry, dry, dry before you ever think about trying to power it up again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts