Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a breaker go off to my room the other day. I switched it back on and went to turn my computer on and my cable modem's USB connection to my PC sparked and killed my computer. The cable modem and computer both are connected to a surge protector, which is connected to a surge protector (so 2 layers of surge protection). I set up another computer and it worked fine... until I went to hook up my cable modem up to the computer. When I did, it sparked and killed it. When I plug up either computer, the fans and LED-power light both come on. However, pressing the power button doesn't shut it off. The USB ports were both front ports. When I looked inside and saw where the ports connected to the mobo, it's black from the shock/burn. There are no other places on the mobo where this is present. Am I pretty much screwed out of two computers? Is there anything I can possibly do to prevent this? Also, is it possible that the cable modem itself is the cause of the USB over load since it happened twice to two computers? The cable modem itself seems to work fine other than causing this shock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,741 Posts
My money is that the modem has a problem, 2 pcs dead when you
plugged in the usb. Sparks, zaps, not good. If the modem is the property
of your isp I would ask them if they cover such a incident. Probably not
they will deny everything but they will replace the modem at no charge,
usually. In the future you should connect via ethernet, its faster and
does not tie up your pc as much. The surge protectors are fine. It
controls the power coming into the device, not what the device is
putting out. Cant blame the surge protectors, probably a funky modem.
If you were connected via ethernet chances are you just would have
blown the nic card, or onboard nic controller.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top