Tech Support banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Win 7 Pro, AMD based MB;

I have two devices; TV SLM (Signal Level Meter) & 2 Uniden radio Scanners that use a USB connection for programming & F/W updates etc. When I try to loads the drivers for either I get errors or the driver just doesn't load.

The current problem are these radio scanners where the Uniden driver is a small file that should be loaded thru DM. The error I get is that it found the software but couldn't find the file (typical M$ lamo error message). The interesting part is I can access the Micro SD interior data card on the scanner, but I can't 'see' the radios O/S itself for control or programming.

My assumption is I'm missing some related missing core O/S file of some unknown type. Now i have other devices that use to communicated functions (programming remote controls) that have no issue. The interesting part is I can access the Micro SD interior data card on the scanner, but I can't 'see' the radios O/S itself for control or programming.

My question is; the scanners have a ';serial' type of communication (virtual serial port via USB), I'm not sure of the SLM, but I'm guessing it's the same or similar deal. The drivers are different for the two companies. What type of names of associated O/S files or even services (thou I doubt that) might be missing here?

Any more info please ask. ;)

The specific driver is here;

Attachments

·
Moderator , Windows Tech Team , Hardware Tech T
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
3,180 Posts
The Driver has to be installed for the Device to be understood as a COM device and connected over a Serial port.

Update the Driver and specifically choose the Cat file (not the folder) within the list and see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Other than the folder where the 2 files are in (thru DM), there is nothing to choose.

This is suppose to be what it should look like. (from the XP Laptop, ignore the "Other Devices" emtries);
Uniden 996P2 in DM XP.png

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,962 Posts
Might help if you list the actual models of each of the 2 devices.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That device is not the reason for the thread. I only included that since it may be the same or similar problem. BTW, 75-90% of their updates relate to the satellite modules, not OTA which is what I use. None of them have to do with the driver problem. I have already contacted them some time back about it.

But thanks for thje update.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do modem drivers have anything do do with any of this?
I ask because, I stripped all modem drivers when I compiled the O/S 4 years ago for obvious reasons (removing unnecessary bloat).
This possibly related article seems to say they might;

·
28,962 Posts
Run DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth then sfc /scannow

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Under "Modems" are their modem protocols along with modem drivers and associated files?
I really believe after reading further into this that this may be Modem related, since those were removed (purposely for obvious reasons) from this version of W7 via RT7 Lite where I'm having this specific problem, opposed to my older Laptop that actually does have a modem and weren't removed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, lets try this route;

actually replacing the confirmed missing "Standard Modem Driver". This is NOT vendor specific!

The "Modem" group of drivers was intentionally not added (who needs a modem anymore) when compiling this Win 7 Pro O/S thru RT7 Lite that up to this point (5 years later) was not needed. Without completely re-complying a new O/S (which is a huge project), there must be a way to selectively re-add this single item (drivers and/or protocols).

This without the actual DVD, just the ISO or the separate original files are available.
Standard Modem Driver missing.png

·
28,962 Posts
Only caution I'd throw in is don't get the drivers from a 3rd party.

·
28,962 Posts
Try what I said in Post #9.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, it's NOT the Standard Modem Driver. :mad: That's what happens when one thinks logically w/ M$.

I'll try DISM. That's not one of those 'phone home' deals is it?

·
28,962 Posts
DISM is an MS repair tool.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ran this;
"DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth"
but it errors out in a command prompt & the 'Run' box;
"restorehealth is not recognized in this context".

·
28,962 Posts
Try it this way: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth Forgot you were on Windows 7.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts